{23.}

Ramona
June, 1991

"Happy birthday baby girl." Joseph smiled walking into the room with a small box in his hand.

"Thanks daddy." I smiled sitting up in bed as he sat on the edge of my bed.

"Got you something." Daddy smiled handing me my gift.

My dad is my world I'm truly a daddy's girl I'm closer to my daddy than I am to my mom. "Ooh what is it?" I smiled reaching for it as he yanked it away.

"Dad!" I whined as he let out his contagious laughter causing me to laugh.

"Wait! Now pumpkin you are fifteen years old today, I want you to promise me that you will do great in life, you will respect yourself and you're mother. You need your mom  just like she needs you. Y'all two need to stop this back and forth bickering that you two do all the time."

"Okay! Okay!" I kissed my teeth reaching for box.

"Aht! Aht! Promise me Ramona."

"I promise daddy."

"Alright na." He smirked handing me the box. "I'll be watching to see."

Removing the paper from the box my eyes widen at the necklace. "It's beautiful." I smiled looking down at the heart shaped necklace with an cursive 'R' in the middle.

"I'm glad you like it, lemme help put it on." Dad said as I turned my back toward him. "Lemme see pumpkin." He said as I turned back toward him.

"Beautiful." He smiled standing to his feet. "Alright pumpkin I'm gonna head for a nap my head it hurting again." He said placing his hand on his head.

"You take your medicine daddy?"

"I did, it doesn't do much for me but I'm tired I'm gonna go lay down, and when I get back up we're gonna party like a rockstar."

"Okay." I laughed.

"Love you pumpkin."

"Love you too daddy."

Following behind him I exit out of my bedroom heading into the other room seeing mama cooking in the kitchen. Opening the fridge I grabbed a sprite can opening it sitting at the stool.

"Having a good day?" Mama asked as she cooked.

"Mhm."

"I'm making dinner."

"I'm hanging out with Trina I'll be back later."

"It's your birthday you don't wanna hang with us?"

"I said I'll be back later."

"Fine, be back before 7!" She yelled as I walked toward the front of the house.

"Yeah okay." I rolled my eyes walking off the porch.

The summer sun kissed my skin as I stepped outside. I smiled to myself seeing the car in the distance, glancing back I made sure my mama wasn't watching as I walked down the street heading for the Oldsmobile.