{15}

"Naheem! Wake up! Naheem!"
Opening his eyes he began too wipe the blur from them. "What?"

"What is this? Where you get this from?" Cyniah asked standing in front of him with her left hand on her hip and her right wrapped around the wad of money.

Quickly standing from the air mattress he snatched the money from her hand.

"Well you gone answer or play deaf?"

"I hear you clear, quit yelling I'm right in front of you, why you in my shit Cyn?"

"Oh yo shit now? The other day you was just giving me that what's yours is mine, what's mine is yours speech but now this is yours. So you hiding money from me now? Where you get it Naheem?"

Pinching the bridge of his nosey he released a long annoyed sigh. "Baby please sit down you don't need to stress yourself or the baby."

"You making me stress I'm not trying to but you bein sneaky. I thought we made a pain that we don't keep anything from each other."

"Baby let me explain."

Sitting on the stool chair she rolled her eyes folding her arms over her chest. "Gone head, I'm listening." Kneeling in front of her he squat down to her level so they could be eye to eye.

"A few weeks back I started working for my brother."

"I hope he has his own restaurant or something?"

Naheem remained quiet. "Not exactly."

"Naheem DeAndre White I know it's not what I think it is cause If so ima slap the black off you are you out here sellin?"

Pulling at his chin hair he stood back some remaining quiet. "So you are?" She squinted her eyes at him.

"It's just for a little while?"

"A little while? Baby I know people who sell once they get that fast money it ain't no for a little while it's usually for the long haul. You already been to jail once and if you've forgotten I am carrying your child Naheem! This baby is gonna need you. I'm gonna need you."

"I'm doing this for us so we can have better. Look around Cyniah we living in a nasty ass building full of crack heads. We sleeping on a fucking air mattress. I'm trying to save so we can get the fuck outta here. I've tried that real job shit nobody tryna hire me. Then yo parents kicked you out when they found out you pregnant we don't have no other source Cyn."

"I know. I just don't want anything to happen to you that lifestyle isn't safe." She said as tears fell. "I don't wanna raise this child alone it's already bad enough my family cut me off. If I loose you I loose myself."

Naheem stood in front of Cyniah wrapping his arms around her. "You won't loose me, I'll be here for the both of y'all. You have my word." He said sticking his pinkie finger up. "I promise."

Chuckling Cyniah wrapped her pinkie around his connecting them as she laid her head on his chest inhaling his cologne which always gave her a calmness. "I'll figure everything out I just need for you to trust your man. I got us." He said embracing her.

In his mind he only hopped he can put his words into action.

••••
•••
••