{24.}

Braylen
2007

7:30 arrived, the sound of my alarm buzzing as I reached for the button turning it off. Removing the covers from my body my size 12 feet planted on my carpet covered floor.

I usually dreaded the week day because of school but for a while I've pretended to go for mama but in reality I had other plans.

Opening the closet I grabbed a fit for the day doing my daily routine getting dressed before walking into the kitchen.

An unusual smell filled my nose as I entered the kitchen smoke filled the pan on the stove as I quickly rushed to it turning it off.

"Mama." I gently placed my hand on her shoulder as she sat with her head down at the kitchen table.

Her watery eyes looked into mine as tears began to roll down her cheek, noticing me she quickly wiped them away. "Good morning Braylen." She faked a smile.

"Morning, everything okay?" I asked sitting next to her at the table.

"Yes, everything is fine." She replied giving me a tight lipped smiled wiping away the fresh tears.

"Ma, I'm not a little kid anymore I see you obviously crying and you burned the food on the stove, you never burn food."

"Oh my word! I burned your breakfast."  She gasped jumping to her feet heading  toward the stove.

Peeping behind me I made sure she wasn't looking as i carefully tried to pick up the papers that were where she sat trying not to make noise. Over due bills, eviction notice and shut off notices.

"Braylen." She called my name scaring me as I turned toward her, her hands sat on her hips as she stared at me.

"Mama, I can just get a job to help out I know we need the money around here."

"No! Your job is to go to school and get an education that is your job."

Kissing my teeth my eyes rolled at her words. "But ma-"

"But mama nothing, you need to be taking your butt to school. Don't worry Braylen I'll figure something out God got us." She smiled giving my hand a soft squeeze.

"Aight ma, I love you." I kissed her cheek.

"And I love you more, have a good day at the school house and I'll see you later." She waves as I walked out of the house.

The cool October breeze smacked me in my face as I stepped out onto the porch, checking back one last time I went the opposite way of the school.

"Yo! Was good boy." Black smile as we dapped.

"Nun wasup wit you."

"Shit, nun ain't tryna go to school." He answered smacking on a strawberry pop tart.

"Damn can you smack any louder?" I asked looking at him crazily.

"Oh my bad, you want any?" He asked moving his hand toward me.

"Nah I'm good."