Chapter Seventy Seven ~ The Davy Back Begins

~Third~

After having made a daring escape from the marine base G-8 the Strawhats were flying along in the night sky in their ship the Going Merry, the call of a hawk interrupted the peaceful silence as the majestic bird of auburn feathers landed on the extended arm of Nicole, her golden yellow eyes scanned the letter flicking between word, a smile curled her lips.

"What does daddy dearest say this time?"Zoro asked leaning on the railing next to her, Nicole gave him a quick glare "Don't ever say that it sounds weird, anyway he's just saying how proud he is that i got my first bounty"she said smiling again as she looked at the letter "He's proud of that fact?"Zoro asked "Yep"Nicole simply said already writing a reply to her father.

Nicole tied the letter on the hawks leg and send it off "What kind of a bird is that anyway?"Zoro said "It's called a Globetrotter Hawk, it's a species of hawk that can fly without a brake for an entire year and it's fast enough to need only that much time to traverse the entire world"Nicole said (made up bird, my book, my rules) "Huh i guess that's interesting"Zoro said.

Just then the flame dial keeping the octopus that was keeping them up inflated went out and the octopus started deflating almost immediately, the Going Merry fell down to the sea but thankfully the drop hadn't been too long so at least the ship was in one piece, they let the octopus go into the sea before continueing to sail on their ship normally, however before they could even get to work a huge wave caused by sea monkeys swept them away.

~skip~

After a while of sailing around the Strawhats ran into a ship with no sails and practically no crew, most of them dismissed it but Nicole had a hunch to what happened to them, after that the Going Merry and her crew arrived on an island where everything was ridiculously long, even the animals.

Luffy, Usopp and Chopper went on land first and immediately set off to explore it, the others didn't got far from the ship as another ship showed up and blocked the Merry in with chains "We are the notorious foxy pirates we want more then just a fight we wanna showdown!"some guy said.

~skip~

"You said the fight's already started?"Nami asked "That's right a Davy Back Fight begins as soon as one captain accepts the challenge from the other captain no take backs"some guy said "In other words your captain is fighting our captain whether you like it or not all you can do is sit back and deal with it"another guy said.

"I don't get this if it's a fight why do i have to sit and wait? Let's do this right here right now"Zoro said, Sanji sighed "You don't know anything do you? It's not a real fight it's more like a sports match between different pirate crews"he said "Exactly, supposedly the game originated in a far away place called pirate island as the name implies it's a sort of secret paradise for pirates, at any rate the purpose of the Davy Back fight is to plunder desirable members from another pirates crew"Robin said.

"Pirates plundering other pirates?"Nami asked "Pretty much yeah"Nicole said "No wonder your puny little crew only has eight members, a Davy Back fight is the best way to pull in new recruits"some guy said "Since you're so clueless i'll tell you how it works after each match the winner can take any member they want from the losing team"another said.

"And once that person is chosen they gotta pledge their undying loyalty to their new captain on the spot"one guy said "Both crews take their oath in the name of Davy Jones the pirate of the deep"another one said "So if you lose, you lose a crew member?"Nami asked "No you're getting it, also if the losing team doesn't have any members worth plundering the winning captain can add insult to injury by robbing the ship of its jolly roger"one guy said.

"So you're not just betting your crew mates but the pride of your ship too winning might make you stronger but losing will leave you with nothing at all might as well be betting your life"Sanji said "I see that explains it that ship without a captain or a navigator or sails, they must have lost everything in a Davy Back fight"Nami said.