Book One: Chapter 9

"Help!" Sora shouted.

His friends stopped and looked back.

"Holy crap!" Amy shouted.

Mimic

Level 25

HP: 250/250

Sora held up his blade and slashed the Mimic's tongue. If he reaches the creature's mouth, it will devour him quickly.

He kept hitting the tongue, but the Mimic wouldn't let go.

Mimic immune to attack!

How in the hell was the mimic's tongue indestructible? Did the creators design it that way to make it difficult for the players to escape? Talk about being hardcore.

Villa used Sun Bomb!

The yellow energy ball slammed into the mimic's face. It released Sora and screamed.

The flash also blinded Sora because he was close to the creature. He rubbed his eyes, hoping to get his vision back quickly. "Watch where you shoot that thing!"

"Oh, sorry for trying to save your life!" Susie shouted sarcastically.

After his vision returned, Sora got up.

The mimic was still screaming as it slowly turned black. Its exterior melted like wax being molded into a puddle. Then it changed into a large black ball with two arms, short legs, and a giant mouth full of fangs.

Basically, that was its true form. Although it has no eyes, it could still get blinded by Susie's sun bomb attack. Maybe it could see hastily.

"I thought that thing only attacks when you touch it!" Sora shouted.

"Mimics are unpredictable," said Amy. "How about you use your special combo again."

Sora nodded and drank one mana potion.

Mana restored!

After he wiped his mouth, he howled and charged toward the mimic.

Rodan used Howl!

He reached the mimic and span his blade around and around, striking the creature.

Rodan used Spinning Blade!

His blade sliced through the mimic like butter. It may feel like nothing, but the mimic's health points went down fast.

Mimic

HP: 0

The mimic fell onto its small knees and melted into a puddle before vanishing.

Mimic defeated!

Rodan earned 60%

"See, that combo is good," said Susie. "You should keep using it."

Sora placed his sword away into his sheath. "I guess you're right. But please don't use me as cannon fodder."

"No worries, wolf face. Use that combo wisely."

Why is she calling me that?

Paul raced toward the other chest and touched it. "Let's see what's in here!"

He opened the chest and peeked inside.

5,000 gold earned!

"Hey!" Amy rushed toward the boar. "You are supposed to share that loot with us!"

Paul closed the chest. "Sorry, I didn't know. It automatically gave me the loot when I opened it."

Amy shook her head. "I hope the main loot here will be worth it."

"Let's move up to the third floor now," said Susie. "If we find more loot up there, don't touch it. We will grab them together."

The stone wall was gone in front of the second staircase. Susie walked up the staircase first and pushed the door slightly open.

When the party stopped behind her, she faced them. "It's clear."

"What do you mean it is clear?" Paul asked.

"I meant it looks clear, but keep your guard up."

She pushed the door open and stepped through. The others followed her in with their weapons out.

The next chamber was surprisingly a dining hall with a long table at the center. Plates, goblets, and silverware laid across the table for about ten people. On the left side was a fireplace, sending its glowing yellow reflection across the stone walls. Past the long table was the next staircase to the fourth floor. On the right was a wooden door, probably to the kitchen.

"Is this room where the sorcerer eats?" Amy asked.

"Maybe, or this chamber is another trap," said Susie.

"How can this place be a dungeon if the designers built it as a luxurious castle?" Sora asked.

"Sorcery can make anything look different I guess," said Susie. "If I built a dungeon, I would make it look fabulous too."

Sora shrugged.

If he built a dungeon, he would make it look terrifying enough to scare off the adventurers. Maybe a haunted dungeon would be interesting.

"I wished there is food on the table," said Paul. "I would love to try what the sorcerer eats here."

"As a bull, gross!" Susie exclaimed. "And if there is food here, it would either be a mimic or poisonous. You can't trust anything inside a dungeon."

"Okay, but I bet those silverwares are worth some gold." Paul approached the table and grabbed a plate.

"Will stop touching stuff!" Susie shouted. "You might-"

The plate shook in Paul's hands and exploded. Shards struck his face.

Korsol

HP: 180

"Ouch!" Paul rubbed his face. "What the hell!"

Across the table, all the dining wares hovered up while shaking.

Susie slapped her forehead. "Dammit, Paul! You triggered a trap!"

"Sorry," Paul muttered like a sad puppy.