Book Two: Chapter 24

In the morning, while it was still dark, Sora and her party stopped toward a cliff edge. Far across an enormous chasm was the castle. Now close, Sora could see how it truly appeared.

A gigantic stone fortified mansion with five towers, coated in black stone walls that could be hematite rocks. Blue windows surrounded by curly arches and flying buttresses pushing the roof upward.

How did the Lich King build that castle in the middle of nowhere? It wouldn't make sense if Northon was a real place. But as a game, anything could happen.

A long bridge stretched over the chasm toward the main entrance below the castle. No guards or sentries watched the entrance, which seemed too easy. Sora wasn't sure if they should walk across the bridge without worrying about a trap.

"We're here now," said Nancy, grinning with excitement. "Let's rush in and kick kick kick the Lich's butt!"

Sora held up her hand. "Wait! There might be a trap on the bridge."

Nancy growled and picked up a rock. "Let me check."

She tossed the rock across the bridge. It skipped across, hitting nothing invisible. It stopped toward the center, and nothing still happened.

Sora shrugged. "I guess it is safe."

"Keep your eyes peeled," Garan suggested behind Sora. "The unexpected is everywhere."

Sora nodded and strolled across the bridge. The cold wind roared beneath the bridge like something was living in the chasm. Indeed, that would surprise Sora if the Lich King has a monster down below. But all she could do was move directly to the entrance.

Halfway on the bridge, Sora and her party stopped when the main entrance opened.

"Quick! We need to hide!" Sora shouted.

"But where?" Maxor asked.

Sora glanced around the bridge. There was no place to hide on the bridge and running back might not give the party time to hide from the enemy.

She peeked over the edge on the right side. There was a thin ledge below the bridge wall, but it was wide enough to grip on.

"We need to hang on the edge!" Sora ordered.

Nancy looked down and smiled. "Cool!"

"I hope it isn't slippery." Garan climbed down first and held on the ledge, letting his legs hang over the darkness.

Sora and the others hustled down as the entrance fully opened.

While hanging beneath the bridge, loud marching noises echoed across the bridge. Sora pulled up to peek over the wall.

An army of white wolves in black armor suits paraded from the castle, carrying spears and shields. They looked like humanoid wolves, but they have horns sticking through their helmets and bat-like wings fanning on their backs. Those warrior types were not part of the game. Maybe the body snatcher was right about being from another world. And it seemed like his army were on their way to conquer the game.

Sora ducked as the procession marched past her. She didn't have time to check out their character stats. It would be too risky if she tried to watch them closely during their march. If they spot her, they will push her off the bridge, and then it would be all over.

No way I will give up now, she thought.

Suddenly, Nancy's hands slipped off the ledge, screaming. Sora's heart dropped until the fennec fox girl caught Garan's left leg. The mammoth held on while gritting on.

Sora looked up, expecting the wolf demon soldiers would check the edge. But they kept marching. Maybe their loud stomping mufflered Nancy's scream.

Sora sighed. How much longer?

After the last tall soldier walked by, Sora took another peek. The army marched off the bridge and the entrance was still open. It was now or never.

"Come on! We have a chance to get inside!" Sora shouted.

Her party climbed over the wall and sprinted toward the entrance.

The two enormous doors began to close, but very slowly. If Sora has to fight some guards on the other side, then she will have no choice.

"Run!" Sora picked up speed, but the doors were already close together. Damn, we're not going to make it!

"Step aside!" Garan charged toward the door like a rhino. He reached the entrance, catching both the doors before they touched each other. Then he held the doors apart, groaning while his muscles quivered.

"Quickly!" he exclaimed.

Maxor and Nancy crawled through Garan's legs, entering the castle. After Sora squeezed through next, Garan stepped through and released the doors, letting them slam shut.

The grand hall was dark with little blue light shining through the glass windows. Past eight pillars, a long blue carpet stretched toward the swirling stairway at the end. No guards patrolled around as if the castle was empty.

Sora knew the Lich King wouldn't be dumb enough to send all his demon knights to battle while leaving his castle unprotected. Unless there was something else guarding him.

"Now we are inside, what should we do?" Maxor whispered.

Sora glared at the stairway. "A dungeon boss is always at the top of the castle. We should go up the stairs and find the king's throne room."

"What is a dungeon boss?" Garan asked.

Sora shook her head. "Never mind that. Let's find the throne room and ambush him."

Nancy smiled mischievously. "I can't wait for that."

"But remember to remain quiet. We don't know if there are guards in here."

Garan nodded. "Brilliant plan."

Sora smiled and strolled across the carpet with her sword out. She needed to be prepared if anything comes down the stairway without warning.

The party raced up the spiral stairway, running past multiple doorways that could lead them to any corridor or chamber. Sora still believed the Lich King might be at the top of the castle. Guarded or not, Sora will fight him to get her body back.

At the final step, the party reached the last floor, facing a corridor where a double doorway stood at the end. If the door was the entrance to the throne room, then the final battle will begin.