Book Two: Chapter 3

Ectol opened his eyes and shook his groggy head. He looked down and realized he was hanging over a river, head first. "What the hell?"

"Good, you're awake," said a voice.

Ectol turned, spotting a wolf, fox, and a mammoth standing toward the edge of a gorge. The wolf held a rope tied to Ectol's leg from over a tree branch.

Ectol struggled. He couldn't reach the gorge edge. "What are you doing? Put me down! Put me down!"

The foxgirl pulled out her sword and pointed it at Ectol. "You are going to tell us where who sold us to you."

Ectol shook his head. "Piss off! I won't tell you anything!"

"Suit yourself." The wolf released the rope.

Ectol screamed as he fell down into the rushing water. Before his head touched the wet surface, he stopped and swung into the gorge wall.

"Ouch!" His head spun as the wolf pulled him up.

He stopped in front of his captors.

"Will you tell us now?" The wolf asked.

Ectol growled. "I swore, if you release me, I will-"

The wolf let go again. "Okay."

Ectol fell headfirst into the water. He gruggled and splashed in the water, losing his ability to breathe. This was the reason why he never swam.

After the wolf pulled him back up, Ectol coughed with relief, but he knew this torture won't end.

"Where the hell is he?" The foxgirl shouted.

"I don't know!" Ectol shouted. "And I don't care!"

The foxgirl crossed her arms. "Then you don't care about drowning I guess."

Before he knew it, Ectol fell back down into the river. Beneath the water, his head barely hit the river floor. He closed his eyes and tried to hold his breath. But his panic couldn't keep his mouth shut. He struggled, until the wolf pulled him up.

"Alright! Alright!" Ectol coughed as he stopped over the river. There was no point in keeping his secret to himself. Those crazy runaway slaves will kill him if he doesn't talk. "He was a white wolf! I met him outside Northon! He offered you for hundred gold!"

The foxgirl stepped toward the lizard. "Did he told you where he was going?"

"No! I swore to god he didn't! Please let me go!"

The foxgirl smiled. "This will teach you to never sell slaves again."

She swung her sword through the rope, and Ectol instantly fell into the water. He splashed around as the water pushed him down the stream. Curse that wench!