Book Two: Chapter 23

Author's Note:

"Hello, sorry for rewriting this again. I kept having burnouts, and I decided to begin the climax. This series will end soon, but I am glad you are enjoying the story. Let the adventure continue!"

Two days later, Sora's Satger reached the top of a snowy mountain and looked down at the summit. Northon was a vast region of ice and rocks. Tall sierra peaks towered beneath the white sky as flakes of snow sprinkled down. Every mountain top glazed in whiteness while the bottom was gray. The sun descended, meaning nightfall will soon come. When darkness comes, a snowstorm will freeze everything in its path.

Players spread rumors about Northon being a hardcore area where hidden gems could be found. The weather was brutal; the monsters were strong, and many players barely returned with rare items. Players who were level fifty or over had a better chance at survival in Northon. Weak players never succeed, unless they have skills and good gear to keep them alive.

There were towns and small camps in Northon, but few since they settled in isolated areas. They survived by trading food and hiring warriors to protect their homes from monsters. Nobody built any kingdom in Northon without dying in the hazardous landscape.

Sora was still at level two, but she couldn't wait while her body might die in the real world. If she doesn't stop the Lich King soon, many other players will keep dying in the game.

Sora stared at the distance and dropped her mouth. She pointed her finger at the distance. "Look!"

About five miles over the snowy mountain region stood a tall black structure on the highest peak. It almost looked like a rock with sharp spears on top. Sora would need to get closer to see clearly. But she was pretty sure that was it. "I think that is the Lich King's castle."

Maxor held his hand over his narrowing eyes. "Are you sure?"

"It has to be. It is the only black structure standing out among the mountains here."

Garan glanced at the mysterious object. "She could be right. When I was here, I never seen sought contruct before."

Maxor hummed. "It doesn't make sense why the Lich King would show off his castle in the open."

"Maybe he wants the others to find him to place them into a trap," Sora suggested. "We better head there before it is too late the players- I mean heroes."

Nancy cheered while waving her club over her head. "Yahoooooooo! Let's go and pound pound pound those demons!"

Toward the far right distance, Sora spotted a white wave of clouds rising over the mountains. "We better move before that storm reaches us."

"What if we can't escape it?" Maxor asked.

"Then we will find shelter before we freeze."

Nancy shrugged. "Works for me."

*****

In a valley, the storm arrived sooner than Sora expected. The icy wind blew across her hair while she shielded her face. Without a coat, it won't take long for the weather to freeze her. And the Satgers already dropped when they reached half way through the valley. Not all mounts could last through a cold weather, even if they were made from data. It gave players a challenge to survive in harazdious environments.

Warning!

Freezing level 50%