Book Two: Chapter 1

Author's Note:

"This summer I will begin the series and a few new ones. The schedule will remain, except the chapters will run through 500 to 1,000 words each to speed up my writing. Enjoy." 

The adventurers and NPCs crowded around the Black Axe Tavern. Mages, warriors, rogues, you name them. It was a two-story tall building in the town of Greyfield. The second floor was an inn with rooms for players who wanted to rest or fool around. The tavern was average with one stage for dancing girls and a long bar at the back. Hanging oil lamps kept the floor lit while shadows hid faces who don't want to be recognized. Half of a dozen men and women sat at scattered small tables, drinking and eating whatever was on the menu. When three visitors entered the tavern, all eyes rested on them for a moment and turned back to their drinking.

"There is he!" Sora whispered, pointing to a skinny lizard man sitting at the bar counter.

She was sure that was him, the slaver who stole Maxor and her to the frog. He still wore that raggy dark hood as if he has nothing else to wear. Usually, most NPCs wore the same outfit based on their designs. It also helped the players to recognize them easily.

Sora needed to speak to the slaver to find the culprit who switched her avatar body. The NPC should remember where he last saw the white wolf's previous location. If Sora could find the location, it should lead her on the right trail to hunt down the mysterious player. Hopefully, her living body in the real world was safe until her mind could return to her rightful avatar. "You two-block this doorway in case he tries to run. He should be trapped here."

"Are you sure about that?" Maxor asked. "This place isn't small."

"Trust me, I can make him talk."

Garan stood near the doorway. "Let me block this route. You two will have a better chance of confronting him before he could retreat."

Sora smiled at the mammoth. "Good idea. Stay in my lead, Maxor."

Maxor bowed. "Ladies first."

Sora giggled and strolled toward the lizard man at the back of the bar. As she moved closer, the lizard's notification appeared.

Ectol

Lizard

Slaver

Male

Level: 10

HP: 100/100

NPC

"You stand behind him while I sit next to him," Sora whispered. "He will be surprised, but we can't let him cause a scene."

Maxor nodded.

Sora slowly sat down next to Ectol. He was only staring at his mug as if he grew bored from drinking.

"Long time no see," said Sora.

Ectol glanced at her, and his eyes widened. "Huh?"

Sora stroked her hair. "You don't recognize me?"

Ectol's lips trembled. "You're not supposed to be here..... I sold you....."

Sora chuckled. "I didn't like my master. So I left, leaving him dead on my ship."

Ectol gulped. "What do you want?"

Sora glared closely at the reptile's face. "Tell me how I got into your slave cart before you sold me. Tell me everything."

The lizard glared back. "Or what?"

"Or my friend behind you will break you in half. He wants payback too."

Ectol noticed Maxor cracking his knuckles with a grin. The lizard shivered like a frightened little puppy.

Sora rested her chin on her fist. "So are you going to tell us, or kiss the floor?"

Ectol hissed. "Go to hell, furry!"