Book Two: Chapter 7

The sky grew black as Sora followed Maxor across the trail between the tall forest trees. She has spotted no mob to slay so she could increase her experience percentage. How could she fight the Lich King if she was weak? Gaming was always about patience, but grinding was boring. Sora usually completed quests to level up faster. All quests reward players with more experience percentages than slaying monsters and villains. But some quests were a challenge to complete if the players weren't strong enough. Sora will have to risk everything to get stronger.

"I see something up ahead," Garan announced.

Sora could see them too.

Down ahead was a giant stone wall with a gate through it. Two rhinos stood near each side of the gate, facing each other, talking. They wore chain mail armor and long metal spears.

"Let's move closer without alerting them." Sora sprinted toward the gate quietly and spotted a large bush near the wall. She hid behind the bush as she could see the rhinos closer.

Bandit

Rhino

Male

Level: 10

HP: 100/100

NPC

Bandit

Rhino

Male

Level: 10

HP: 100/100

NPC

Sora also spotted broken carts and opened carts lying around the gate. They must be victims who the rhinos attacked when they approached the gate.

"Are those your former friends?" Sora asked after Maxor, and Garan kneeled behind her.

"No, but there are many bandits in this region," Maxor stated. "They never bothered my guild."

"Those savages," Garan complained, "attacking innocent folks who only wish to reach their destination."

"Nobody is friendly outside the kingdoms, Garan. You can only trust those who are closer to you."

Sora glared at the rhinos. Their kind moved slowly, but their attacks were strong. She could send Maxor and Garan to fight them, but if they do, she won't earn the experience percentage. Although the percentages won't be a lot, earning some would be better than nothing. Any total of experience counted when the player could get more on the quest. Grinding could still make a player stronger.

Sora opened her character statues and checked her abilities. She only has two, but both of them could be useful. Perhaps she should try one of them out now.

"I got an idea," said Sora. "Stay behind the bush while I lower those bandits' guards down."

"What will you do?" Garan asked.

Sora smiled mischievously. "Use my lady charms to get through the gate."

Maxor chuckled. "This I'm going to see."