Chapter 14: Mapleclaw

"There you go Mothpaw!" I applaud as she had pinned Cardinalpaw quiet quickly in our mock up move session.

"Now Cardinalpaw, try it on Mothpaw" Ravenclaw asked. Mothpaw got off and got into a attack crouch position. Cardinalpaw eyed her littermate for a second before quickly moving to the side as Mothpaw leaped at her. The black tortoiseshell launched herself at the grey tabby and pinned Mothpaw. Cardinalpaw looked up smiling confidently and Ravenclaw nodded an approval. "You two are very excellent fighters"

"Will we get our assessment soon then?" Cardinalpaw asked in triumph, getting off her sister so she could stand up.

"Not yet," I stated calmly "there are still plenty of things to learn".

"Aww come on!" Cardinalpaw groaned and Mothpaw couldn't stop herself from giggling. "The apprentice den is so crowded now that we have all of Skyleaf and Silverfeathers kits in there!"

"And Flypaw kinda snores" Mothpaw giggled.

"Well it's no better in the warriors den, have you heard how loud Iceeye snore? You could hear him all the way at the Island" I joked. Ravenclaw sighed but couldn't help but smile too. We all stopped laughing and Ravenclaw stood up straighter.

"Alright, we should do some hunting before we head back"

"Ugh..." Cardinalpaw groaned before following her fluffy mentor into the woods.

"Do we have to?" Mothpaw asked.

"Yes" I stayed firmly with my apprentice. "You have yet to catch anything properly"

"But I have caught stuff!" she argued.

"What you call hunting I call luck, now let's go see if we can catch anything" I lead my apprentice into the woods away from where Ravenclaw and Cardinalpaw.

"I want to hunt by myself" the gray and brown tabby stated. I turned on her quickly and gave her a raised eyebrow.

"There is a rule stating you all can't be by yourself, no cat is"

"But I hunt better by myself" she mumbled. I flicked my tail and weigh the options. She looked nervous and uncomfortable even asking. I sympathized and decided enough was enough.

"How about we just go back to camp, you have been working yourself hard enough and maybe you deserve a break" she brightened up at that. Disappointment still swirled in her eyes but she seemed genuinely happy. The two of us walked back to camp quietly.

***

I was on the edge of camp with Smokefoot checking over the camp walls.

"I don't think you'll need to pull anything out, but I'd say we should at least patch some of the holes" Smokefoot said with a gesture to some.

"Yeah, do you want me to grab Mothpaw and will head off to collect some bracken?"

"Yeah, at least for now. We might need to check on the dens too. Wishstar might want to think about expanding the Warriors den by next green-leaf with the surplus's of apprentices"

"Mothpaw and I will be back with that bracken, and I'll mention the expansion to Applebrook"

"Alrighty, I'll keep looking for more holes and dead branches" I left the dark grey tabby to do his search while I went off to look for my apprentice. Looking around camp I didn't immediately spot her. Confused I went to check the apprentice den but Springpaw was leaving the den anyway.

"Is Mothpaw in there"

"Nah, just me collect and replacing old moss"

"Do you know where she went?" I ask the grey speckled she-cat.

"Umm... let me think... uh-ya! I do remember seeing her following Puddlesplash and Forestpaw out of camp"

"Why?" I raised an eyebrow at that.

"Don't know, though I remember Forestpaw being excited about hunting so maybe something to do with that". I clenched my jaw at that, a little dismayed at the idea of Puddlesplash seeing Mothpaws terrible hunting skills. I stalked off leaving camp, Springpaw calling out to me "Your Welcome!". I went quietly through the forest as I didn't know if she would be stalking anything when I would find her. I traveled over the leafs and twigs quietly, but if you were actually listening for me you could hear me. As I followed Mothpaw's scent I picked up talking ahead.

"-that way it is easier to judge the distance between you and your prey" I recognized Puddlesplash's voice.

"Wow! That does make it easier! Thanks a lot Puddlesplash" my apprentice said in cheerful appreciation. I paused my walk as realization hit me.

Is-is Mothpaw asking Puddlesplash for help? I did ask him for some tips so did he think I needed his help? I felt bubbling rage fill my chest. He is teaching my apprentice! That will make me look bad! I burst through a few more bushes following the sound of the laughter to find Puddlesplash sitting off to the side with Forestpaw. Mothpaw must have done a leap cause she was a bit farther away. "What are you doing?" I demanded in a low hiss. Puddlesplash was completely surprised to see me and Forestpaw pinned her ears back as she was startled. Mothpaw eyes went wide when she realized how much trouble she could be in.

"I was just teaching Mothpaw a cool trick for hunting" Puddlesplash said a little confused and startled himself. Surprisingly he didn't stutter from nerves.

"She is MY apprentice Puddlesplash!" I hissed. The silver and brown tom flinched at the statement, pulling his ears back.

"He was just trying to be helpful!" Mothpaw tried to defend him. I shot her a glare and she went quiet. Looking at her paws in embarrassment.

"She-she asked me for help and I didn't see any harm in it" Puddlesplash stuttered a little.

"Yeah! Your just being rude!" Forestpaw piped up

"Keep out of warrior conversations apprentice" I hissed at the silver and grey she-cat. I turned to face my apprentice "We are leaving, now!"

"Bu-but-" she tried protesting. I glared even harder and Mothpaw flinched before hanging her head in disappointment. I started leading her back to camp as I shoved my anger deep down. Puddlesplash didn't try to say anything, but I thought I heard Forestpaw ask 'what is her problem?'.

How could he teach MY apprentice! Her issues are mine to deal with! I don't need him helping! Starclan above why does Puddlesplash do this!? He just has to be SOOOO helpful.... that fox heart can't help himself half the time!

"Mapleclaw?"

"I taught you all you need to know! You don't need to accept help from some other mentor!"

"I just watched Forestpaw catch a squirrel and a black bird already, so I asked him to give me pointers!" Mothpaw defended him. I stopped and turned on her quickly which she took a few steps back.

"Maybe he should be your mentor than?! If he is so great!" I yelled. Her eyes went round with hurt, before blazing into righteous anger.

"Maybe Puddlesplash should be! You always send me off by myself instead of helping me! Then you act all disappointed but you don't try to see what I did wrong! Forestpaw is already ahead of me, and she was made an apprentice three days ago!" Mothpaw stormed off back to where Puddlesplash was, and I felt burning frustration eat away at me.

"He is a stuttering coward! Good luck with Puddlesplash" I yelled after my apprentice. I stormed off to camp not feeling that I should chase after her now that she is Puddlesplash's apprentice. Good luck with that fox heart! I don't know what anyone sees in him?! He barely stands up to anyone, much less talk! There was a break in the branches above and I saw a storm cloud was starting to pull in. It was large and dark in color. It looked angry almost. "Great, now it's gonna rain. What do you want Starclan, to punish us for our own stupidity?" I huffed and yelled at the sky.