Chapter 32: Mapleclaw

The frozen rain drizzled down onto my fur. It wasn't raining hard right now, but the distant thunder hinted towards a worse storm.

How is there a thunder storm in leafbare?I think I would prefer a small flurry of snow then freezing rain. I thought as I had dropped off the bird I had caught on my personal hunting patrol. I noticed that the fresh kill pile was a little smaller, but still plentiful, as the bird landed with a stiff flop on top and realized how lucky we are that leaf-fall is being this kind right now. Or it is just softening us up for something worse in leaf bare? Ugh... I hope not.

"Hey Mapleclaw! You should head to the warriors den!" Applestar called out from high rock. "Any cat could catch a cold in this frozen rain!"

"Got it Applestar!" I called back. I know that you mousebrain! I grumbled in my head. I trotted off to the warriors den to take shelter, like all the warriors. Other than one border patrol, almost all the warriors were in the den. I maneuvered around talking and sleeping clan mates and tiredly slumped into my nest. I didn't want to sleep so I decided to think about what still needed to be done today. Dawndrop said there was a little weak spot in the nursery she was wondering if we could fix. Tomorrow I'll send a mentor and apprentice to get some more bracken for it. If the fresh kill pile is getting smaller I should start sending out more hunting patrols. I should also get an apprentice to help Coldheart and Moonwater with any medicine cat chores they can't bother with right now? Like herb collecting if they haven't started to wither yet. Though in this cold rain I wouldn't be surprised it finishes the last of the plants that are too stubborn.

"Huh?" Whiteleaf pokes her head out of the den as she flicked her ears. "There is a cat here"

"What?" Mothdust got up and peeked outside. "Wait, I know him. That is-Umm- Rowanpaw, of Windclan"

"What is an apprentice doing here?" Whiteleaf asked as she walked out. At the moment I got up quickly and followed Whiteleaf out. The freezing rain was coming down a little harder since only a short time ago. I took a few steps towards the apprentice with caution. Rowanpaw was panting hard and looked ready to collapse. His reddish brown tabby fur was soaked and it made him look much thinner.

"Win-Windclan-help..." Whiteleaf, out of motherly instinct, walked up and snuggled the apprentice.

"He needs to be warmed up, he is freezing" Whiteleaf said calmly. I quickly nodded in agreement so we started to take him to the medicine cat den when Applestar came down.

"What is going on?" Applestar has appeared beside me. My leader had worried look as he stared at the freezing Windclan apprentice.

"Please, we need your he-help" Rowanpaw said as he slowly regained his breath. "Huge landslide hit our camp, a lot of cats are trapped or missing"

"I'll take a few warriors to go help" Applestar declared with out consulting me. My anger bubbles for a few moments.

What is the point of being deputy of you won't take my advice? I shook the anger out of my head. But he is right, Windclan needs our help. I followed my leader to a group of gathered warriors. A few of my clanmates sat outside of the warriors den intrigued by the commotion. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Whiteleaf guide Rowanpaw to the medicine cat den to warm up.

"Windclan needs help rescuing there warriors, it seems many are trapped by a huge landslide" Applestar informed. "I'll take Darkcloud, Nightrain, and Tanglestripe"

"I'll come with" I spoke up.

"Are you sure?" Applestar said inquiring.

"Yeah I am already cold and soaked, let's just go" I joked. Applestar nodded and turned towards Coldheart as he approached.