Chapter 20: Sagelight

"Should you be going to the gathering?" Foxhop asked nervously. His green eyes looked me up and down in search of signs to worry about. I gave him a weak but hopefully still comforting smile.

"I am fine, I have only been pregnant for a two moons Foxhop"

"I-I know but-"

"Foxhop, Moonwater said I am good to go so I am going. It's the first gathering since the fire and I want to see my friends"

"Alright, we'll finish this mouse before we do" he shoved a grey mouse he was eating towards me. I rolled my eyes a little and ate it to please my anxious mate.

"Happy?"

"Yeah" he smiled at me and purred. I laughed annoyingly at him.

"Alright! Let's get going everyone!" Applestar called out next to the camp entrance. I looked up and spotted Puddlesplash saying bye to Rushfire before nuzzling his mate.

Sad Rushfire isn't going tonight, I bet his mother and younger brothers miss him.

"Wow, Blizzardkit and Jaggedkit are so big" Foxhop made the comment as I braved up onto my paws. I didn't bother looking at the now seven moon old kits as I was pre-occupied with my large belly.

I got big so fast, how many kits am I carrying?!

"When will Applestar make them apprentices? He made Springtail a Warrior two days ago"

"When Applestar feels like it" I grumbled. We began following the crowd out of camp and off towards the island. I looked around and saw Mapleclaw talking to Cardinalpaw and Mothpaw, with Ravenclaw muttering about something. Mapleclaw has been pleasant to everyone's surprise and has been training Mothpaw well, the young she-cat should have been made a warrior since Mothpaw and her litter are have successfully completed their assessment too.

"I like leaf-fall, it has a nice crisp feeling to it" I heard Tanglestripe comment as he walked with Puddlesplash.

"Yeah, even with the forest still regrowing it still has the leaf-fall beauty"

"Applestar is gonna mention the lose dirt and mud right? Yesterday Branchtail almost got swallowed up by a small landslide" Ravenclaw echoed concern.

"Thank Starclan we have our camp next to giant stone blocks or our camp could get swept away" Springtail joked. I felt myself tighten at the thought of us getting buried alive and I was suddenly aware of the little lives growing in me.

"I am surprised your coming along Puddlesplash, you have been spending so much time with Rushfire recently that I thought you'd be back in camp" Tanglestripe said directly

"I got a lot of friends to catch up with" the silver and brown tom laughed nervously.

"You are the most anxious cat I know, yet you have the most friends outside of Thunderclan" Foxhop joked. Any cat nearby laughed a little and the group just kept talking as we made our way to the gathering. The air was cold but not cold enough to make you shiver. Springtail came up to my side and smiled big.

"Have you two thought up any names for those little bundles you are gonna have?"

"Springtail-" Foxhop started to tell her off but I glared at him. He sighed and smiled weakly at her. I turned back and smiled at my younger sister.

"We definitely want to name one of them Eaglekit"

"That's a great one! Hey can I offer up a name?"

"Sure" I answered. Foxhop made a worried intake of breath but didn't say anything.

"Ashenkit! I think it's a great name! Obviously not my own top name, that is for my own kit but I think you would love it!

"That seems like a great name Springtail" Foxhop agreed. He actually sounded pleased by it and I also liked it.

Ashenkit, definitely for a grey or brown kit. I like the name definitely!

"You want kits?" Slatefoot asked. He had come up on Springtails other side.

"Well, yeah! One day!" the grey dapple smiled wide. "If you had kits what would you name one?"

"Drizzlekit"

"That was fast, have you thought about it that often?" Springtail jokes. Slatefoot got embarrassed and looked away.

"No-no, just that Drizzle was part of my moms warrior name"

"I never heard you talk about your mom before. But I thought her name was Edith?

"She was a Warrior before she lived at the barn" Slatefoot mumbled.

"That must be hard to talk about, your mom" I said out of comfort.

"She was the best hunter and fighter I knew" he said fondly. "She use to beat dad up all the time"

"Guessing she was another Windclan cat" Foxhop said.

"Umm- yeah... yeah she was". It was obvious he was lying but no one was going to say anything. I decided to change the subject.

"Hey! You must be excited to show Fallenpaw around during the gathering! Where is she?"

"Oh! Yeah! Fallenpaw is definitely gonna enjoy her time! And she is hanging out with Firepaw, he is a little anxious"

"He reminds me so much of Puddlesplash" Foxhop joked.

"Hey! Being nervous is called being cautious!" Puddlesplash called back and we all laughed.

"I bet his friends are gonna be jealous he is training another apprentice" Slatefoot said sweetly.

"Yeah, and Rushfire has been watching Jaggedkit and Blizzardkit when Darkcloud has things to do" Springtail added.

"Yeah, Darkcloud has been struggling" I mumble. Darkcloud looks ready to collapse half the time. He just keeps working himself to the point of sleep.

"Skyleaf has been going really easy on him, but Darkcloud is doing this to himself" Foxhop grumbled, but I could still tell he was worried.

"He wants to be a strong role model for his own kits" I added. "I bet you'll be doing the same thing"

"Hey, I am gonna spend a lot of time with my kits. Watch me!" Foxhop said playfully.

"Sparrowscar has also been watching Jaggedkit and Blizzardkit," Slatefoot said. Foxhop grumbled something incoherent and I sighed a little.

"Is it just me, or is Applestar behind on ceremonies? I mean to be honest Darkclouds sons and Dawndrop own kits should be apprentices by now" Springtail mumbled. "He even did my ceremony a moon late!"

"I guess he just doesn't keep track of time all that well" Slatefoot shrugged. "To be honest even I do sometimes"

"Yeah but when you gave four age ready kits in the nursery you would think he'd notice" Foxhop added on, seemingly to agree with Springtail.

"And it wouldn't be a bad thing if there to be more room in the nursery" I continued agreeing.