Chapter 62: Sagelight

I was following Coppernose to the nursery, excited to show of his kits to any cat who wanted to see them. I have never seen such a happy father that it was hard to say no to him when he cheerfully asked me if I wanted to see them. I had a very sneaking suspicion though that Nightrain wanted to distract me. Every cat here is trying to cheer me up. I feel grateful they want to make me happy I don't want to stop being so angry. I just want to tear off Maplestars mouse brained face... especially now she is keeping a leader hostage in camp... ANOTHER CLAN LEADER HOSTAGE WHAT IN THE NAME OF STARCLAN IS SHE THINKING?!?!?

"I love them so much, they are really cute and adorable! Oh I can't wait to see those two grown up into great warriors, they are just so perfect and..." Coopernose started rambling on about his kits. I followed him into the nursery and spotted Nightrain entertaining Orchidfrost kits with answering their questions.

"How long will they be this tiny?" I heard Elmkit ask.

"For a little while, so that's why you need to be extra careful with them"

"When will be able to play moss ball with them?" Heatkit squealed excitedly.

"When they are a little older Heatkit" Nightrain purred. She spotted me and Coopernose. "Have you come to see our kits Sagelight?"

"Of course!" I said with a happy smile. I looked down into her nest to see two little small fur balls. There was a dark grey tabby tom kit that was so similar to his mother their was no doubt about their relation. And a golden and black speckled she-cat with a fluffy belly. "They are beautiful Nightrain"

"Thank you" Nightrain purred proudly.

"We are gonna be best friends when they are bigger!" Heatkit chirped.

"Yep!" Her brother agreed.

"What are their names?" I asked.

"The she-kit is Emberkit and the tom kit is Spiderkit" Coppernose answered proudly.

"Emberkit look a lot like Pineclaw to me" I laughed a little.

"Yeah, that's what mom said" Coppernose shrugged.

"I am happy for you two" I purred softly. I glanced at Orchidfrosts empty nest and back at her kits bothering Nightrain.

"Where is Orchidfrost?"

"She said she had something important to do" Nightrain shrugged.

"Yeah and Dawndrop is complaining about a belly ache. Said she felt something was just sitting in it" Coppernose sounded worried.

"Oooo! Look it's Mothdust! Hi Mothdust!" Heatkit ran between my legs to greet the grey and brown tabby warrior. Mothdust looked down as Heatkit ran in and out between her front paws.

"Heatkit watch it!" Mothdust warmed as she tried to avoid stepping on the she-cat.

"What is it Mothdust?" Coppernose asked as Mothdust tiptoed around the excited Heatkit.

"I-I wanted to talk to Sagelight, alone if that's okay?"

"Su-sure?" I was a little surprised. "See you around Nightrain, and congrats on your little bundles of joy"

"Thank you Sagelight!" Nightrain called putting as I followed Mothdust out of the nursery. The young cat led me to a secluded part of camp and sat me down.

"What's wrong Mothdust?" I asked concerned.

"I-I just wanted to ask you something I don't know how to ask my mom... and seeing you are friends with Orchidfrost I thought you might know... something..."

"Go on?"

"D-do you know who my dad is?"

"What?" I really didn't think I heard Mothdust correctly.

"Look some Windclan cat came up to me when I was hunting with Ashenpaw near the border. I think his name was Ferretflight... anyway he was trying to have a conversation with me, but with a strained relationship between us and Windclan I shooed Ashenpaw further back into the woods, but I couldn't help but see he looked a lot like me. It was just really weird and I guess I wanted to ask mom..."

"Calm down, calm down" I said soothingly. Mothdust took a few deep breathes and looked at her paws.

"I never had any interest in knowing who my dad was, if he never made his presence known in my life then I didn't want him around either... but when that random cat tried to talk to me I got a weird feeling from him and got me thinking... maybe the reason I never meet him is cause he is in another clan... that I am a half-clan cat..."

"I want to help you, I really do, but I don't know who your father is or was. No cat but your mother does... I am sorry. Did you tell any other cat about this?"

"I told Cardinalrush about it, but she just stormed off into the woods. We haven't been very close... no sisterly love between us anymore..." Mothdust mumbled.

"I want to advice not to tell any one about this suspicion"

"I thought you would say that, Ashenpaw already promised not to talk about Ferretflight trying to talk with me at the border"

"She is a loyal cat like that. Anyway, when your mother gets back I would ask her"

"What if my father is from another clan... I don't know if I really want to know"

"It doesn't matter, you are you no matter who ever your parents are" I smiled softly to cheer her up. She smiled weakly back.

"Thanks Sagelight" Mothdust places a tail on me before wandering off. I smiled after her but couldn't help compare her tabby marking to my memory of Ferretflights.

They do have similar markings... and Cardinalrush is naturally lean... oh don't think like that Sagelight! That isn't right of you to do so!