Chapter 50: Maplestar

I walked out of my den and sat near the edge of highrock. Watching as my clanmates were doing busy clan stuff. Below I saw Flutterbird talking with Jaggedtail and Blizzardskip. I made them warriors just the other day at the encouragement of Puddlesplash. He said after the whole Plumpaw fiasco I needed to lift the faith of clanmates in me. It hurt to think the clan was angry at me. Near the nursery Dawndrop was talking with her son Coppernose. Most likely talking about Nightrains future kits. Ravenclaw was glaring at me from the elders den but I just rolled my eyes at that.

Stop your scowling you old fox. I spotted Puddlesplash returning with Screechpaw and Plumpaw. The two apprentices were each carrying a mouse. I was impressed as prey was still hard to come by, even with most of the snow melted away. Leafbare still had another moon to go at least. I hopped down into the clearing and began walking over to Puddlesplash. I needed to ask him if he has selected cats to go to the gathering tonight. "Puddlesplash!" I called out as I got closer. The three looked over at the call of his name. Plumpaw looked scared and darted away with the mouse. My brown apprentice heading for the nursery. Screechpaw looked up at her mentor and I heard Puddlesplash speak to her.

"Can you go and give that mouse to Ravenclaw? Oh! And go tell Eaglepaw it's his turn to help Ravenclaw with his ticks". The fluffy she-cat nodded and bounded away with her small mouse. I clenched my jaw out of irritation.

"I thought I told you to delegate some of our senior warriors to take care of Ravenclaw? The apprentices need to focus on training" I muttered.

"Sorry, but all the warriors paws are full. Especially since you asked me to double border patrols" he defended. The grey and brown tabby deputy expression fell from content happiness to something I couldn't really decipher. Though I could tell it was negative. He had been acting like this since apprentice ceremony a few days ago. I felt at the end of my tail with all this attitude I am getting.

"Look is something wrong? You have been upset every time I get close or talk to you. I know I have made some upsetting changes and other questionable decisions but I need your support in these. If your upset than tell me" Opening out our feelings always seemed to work.

"I have!" He argued. I took a step back at his frustrated growl. "You have been giving out orders and decisions that very few in our clan rally behind! But here I am having to defend you! I defended you to Ravenclaw, Whiteleaf, Moonwater, most of every cat is upset! You don't tell me anything! You tell me what your doing as your doing it! You are asking me to aid you when you aren't giving me info! For every cat here to know you're-" he stopped before he finished. He looked at me annoyed. "I want to be there for you, but you are making it more difficult than it needs to be Maplestar"

"What else am I supposed to do Puddlesplash? I am trying things that fit my style of leadership and beliefs, I know it's a bit tougher than most to get behind but come on is that really what is bothering you?" I growled. I spotted from the corner of my eyes our clan mate gathering and watching. I held my tongue as I tried to bring in my temper down before I explode at my deputy. I took a deep breath in and then let it out. I then glared at Puddlesplash coldly and growled lowly so no cat could barely hear me. "I am gonna let this slide but don't you ever, ever speak to me like that again or face the consequences". Puddlesplash blinked and looked away, unable to hold my gaze. His face was again filled with that same mixed emotions I was unable to understand. I looked around and bellowed at the top of my lungs. "Shows over! Don't you all have something to do!"

"He is right" I heard Iceeye mumble as my warriors dispersed. I bared my teeth and stomped away to my den.

What do they know! I am doing what is best for them! I am trying to prepare them for war! War against two clans that Briarstar is blackmailing me for! I have to much going- my thought process was interrupted as Eaglepaw rudely stomped in front of me. The tom almost crashed into me. "Hey!" I hissed. He didn't respond but stomped angrily towards the medicine cat den. I swiftly noticed the blood on his back and became confused. What the-

"What do you mean you scratched him as punishment?! Cardinalrush that isn't anyway to treat your apprentice!" I heard Puddlesplash scowl loudly. I whipped my head to his new commotion to see him arguing with my kin Cardinalrush.

"He was arguing with me, so I scratched him to shut him up!" Cardinalrush argued back. "I don't want some back mouthing fox heart!"

"I am gonna talk to Maplestar about this, but as punishment right now you are not going to the gathering. Alright?" Puddlesplash grumbled. The toms brown tail was fluffed out as he lashed it in annoyance.

"Do it, I was just following her orders. Eaglepaw needs to train and that's what she wants"

"That doesn't mean you harm a clan mate Cardinalrush" Puddlesplash groaned before trotting off. I watched my kin spit after him before dragging her paws away and into the warriors den. I grimaced.

Maybe I have been distant...