Chapter 51: Puddlesplash

I sat distantly away from Maplestar as she talked to Briarstar. We were still both annoyed at each other about our fight earlier today. I felt guilty a little, all the stress of recent moons just came rushing to the surface when I yelled at her. I was actually scared when she growled back. For some reason the idea of her killing me came to mind. Stop... no... she didn't try to do that...

"Puddlesplash?" Shortlake asked.

"Yeah sor-sorry I got lost in thought" I stuttered. I put on a fake smile. "Hey, is it alright if I go talk to Tornpelt? If she is here of course"

"Oh, sorry no she isn't" Shortlake informed, "She is back at camp. She is expecting kits but oddly enough she didn't want to come to hear Briarstar give the news"

"Oh... oh okay"

"Anyway how is Thunderclan?"

"Decent, we are getting by in leafbare"

"Same here" Shortlake stated. He looked over at the tree bridge and spoke up, "Looks like Windclan is here". I followed the silver cats gaze to see Windclan cats filing into the clearing. Snailstar and Birchleaf were already beginning to converse with us.

"Hello" Snailstar greeted me and Shortlake with a small smile.

"Hello Snailstar" I greeted back. Birchleaf smiled and sat next to me.

"So how are you?" Birchleaf asked, nudging my shoulder. I made another fake smile.

"Everything is fine... Is Mudstripe here?"

"Oh, of course! He is just helping Flowerbreeze settle down. He is a little protective" Birchleaf laughed a little. Usually the Windclan leader is a bit more stoic and calm, but I think she and I are becoming good acquaintances that we both feel a little more comfortable around each other.

"I am gonna go and say hello, I'll see you two later" I bowed a little to the two other deputies and the leader and trotted away. I needed to spend sometime with my friends. I walked into the growing crowd and spotted Rushfire, talking with Flowerbreeze. I walked over to them and was greeted with friendly mews.

"Ah! The great deputy has come to converse with the warriors" Rushfire joked as I sat down next to him. I rolled my eyes while the pregnant Windclan cat laughed.

"It has been awhile Puddlesplash" Flowerbreeze sweetly said.

"Yeah, it has been" I sighed. Looking a lot more stressed out then I meant.

"Something wrong?" I heard a familiar mew. I looked over to see Mudstripe approaching. I blinked and quickly shook my head.

"No-no nothing is wrong!"

"He is lying" Rushfire curled his tail around me. I glared at my mate.

"No I am not lying" Rushfire gave me a look before talking to our two friends.

"Since Maplestar became leader it has been a head butting fight between our senior warriors and Maplestar, with Puddlesplash here trying to keep the peace"

"Is she that bad of a leader?" Mudstripe inquired.

"She made Puddlesplash double our border patrols and has delegated the senior warriors apprentice chores, which is just mouse brain in my opinion. And oh Starclan above don't get me started on the Plumpaw fiasco..." Rushfire complained. By now I was staring at my paws, hoping a hole would swallow me up.

I shouldn't let him talk bad about Maplestar... I really shouldn't... but...

"Hey looks like the other clans are here, you should head up to the front Puddlesplash" I jumped up and saw the five leaders climbing the large oak.