Chapter 36: Puddlesplash

"Puddlesplash" someone nudged my side. I groaned and curled up tighter. "Puddlesplash get up" the cat nudged harder.

"What?" I opened my eyes and glared at the cat. As my blurry eyes cleared away I saw Forestpaws bright green eyes staring at me.

"Mapleclaw is calling a clan meeting, she wants all cats there"

"All of them? She can miss one" I groaned and shut my eyes. I was still sore and cold from traveling so much in the rain. The minute I hit my nest I fell into a deep sleep, pleading Starclan won't send me another dream thing again. I don't need to deal with any of that right now.

"Puddlesplash come on" Forestpaw tugged on my neck. I hissed in pain and quickly got up.

"Alright, alright! I'm up!" I hissed. She smiled and pranced around me, keeping me from collapsing back into my nest. I dragged my paws out of the warriors den with my apprentice right behind me. I walked out to the freezing cold air of night. We worked all afternoon helping Windclan, who were now asleep in the elders den. Ravenclaw and Rainstripe moved into the nursery for the time being. I looked up at the sky to see the moon wasn't that high in the sky, though I don't know why she would still be calling a meeting now. I sat down next to an also tired Rushfire and leaned into him, trying to keep my eyes open.

"Hey, guess your still tired?" Rushfire asked as he licked my forehead.

"Yeah" I mumbled.

"I don't think this will take long"

"I hope not..." I closed my eyes lightly. Rushfire held me up as I kinda snoozed. Above Mapleclaw began to speak.

"Coldheart and I believe that Applestar won't be coming back" she said aloud. I was barely paying attention as I felt myself fall asleep again. "So tonight I'll be going to the moonpool to receive my nine lives" I shit my eyes at the news. I couldn't tell if I was doing it from the hard hitting grief or the sleep deprivation.

"Puddlesplash?" Rushfire nudged me.

"Huh?" I opened my eyes as cats voiced there displeasure.

"Applestar couldn't have lost all his lives so soon! We should continue looking in the morning!" I heard Whiteleaf protest. I looked up to see Snailstar was sitting a little behind Mapleclaw. He looked saddened and I a thought arrived in my head.

Did they not find Wildcloud?

"She is right" some cat agreed with Whiteleaf, I think Smokefoot. "He could still come back"

"Hey now!" Coldheart called out from the crowd. "If Starclan doesn't give her any lives than we know that Applestar is still alive". At that the crowd calmed down. Mapleclaw sighed from the looks of it before continueing.

"If" she stopped for a second, "IF Applestar is dead I want to follow the Warrior code and select a new deputy for Thunderclan before moonhigh" she didn't receive any outbursts from that so she continued. "I say these words before StarClan, so that the spirits of our warrior ancestors may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of Thunderclan is Puddlesplash!"

"What?" I stood up straighter in confusion as Mapleclaw laid her eyes one me. Murmurs of approval echoed through the stone hollow of Mapleclaws choice. I began to panic and my anxiety, which hadn't resurfaced in awhile, made my panic worse. Why would she pick me? I don't have any idea how to do deputy stuff! I watched Mapleclaws face and saw the trust in her eyes, the confidence she had in me. I sighed and walked forward. Do this for Mapleclaw! She is trusting you! She wants you, her good friend, to be her deputy! I sat down below High rock and bowed. "I gladly accept the position of deputy, if you do receive nine lives"