Chapter 29: Mapleclaw

"Smokefoot, you'll lead a patrol on the Windclan border with Nightrain, Blizzardpaw, and Springtail" Smokefoot nodded and left to gather the cats. I looked around the small group of cats and spotted another one to lead a patrol. "Silverfeather, I want you to take your apprentice, Orchidfrost, and Slatefoot"

"Okay" she nodded. She looked a little displeased but I ignored it.

"Can I lead a hunting patrol?" Branchtail asked. I looked over at the brown tabby.

"Yeah, bring along Tanglestripe, Jaggedpaw, and Puddlesplash, and Forestpaw" the tabby smiled and went off to gather those cats. I turned to the rest of the mentors. "The rest of you can go to battle practice"

"Actually," Coppernose started. I whipped my head around and looked at him a little confused. "Flutterpaw is gonna be doing some chores around camp, the elders have been complaining about old moss"

"Oh, alright" Damm nabbit! I keep forgetting about chore duties. "You can go hunting later than with your apprentices"

"See you later Mapleclaw" I bowed back and Coppernose left. I sighed and looked around camp. Might as well relax, Puddlesplash says should try to.

"Mapleclaw! Can I talk to you?" Applestar called out. I looked up at highrock and he sat on the edge. It was hard to tell if he was upset since he was emotionless from this distance. Confused I walked up and rocks to get to him. I was confused as to why he wanted to talk. I sat next to him and watched his face more closely now. The cream tabby was a little disappointed and that just made more confused and nervous.

"What is wrong?"

"None of the apprentices have been doing chores Mapleclaw, and when I asked all the mentors they confirmed that you were lying about other apprentices doing said chores"

"I just realized that, so Flutterpaw is doing moss nest duty right now. My bad"

"Chores are to establish connections and responsibilities for apprentices, please be mindful of that" Applestar said sternly. I was surprised by his tone, it was less friendly.

"I am sorry, I promise to do more involving chores" bowed slightly.

"I also want to talk to you about certain things, ones I had to ask Puddlesplash for permission for" he said, nodding to his den for more privacy. I pinned my ears back and followed inside.

What is this about? My leader sat down as I entered. Taking a few more steps in I sat down as well.

"As my deputy, I need to advise you in issues involving prophecies, threats, and special cats. Puddlesplash has been having dreams over these few moons that leave him physically drained and have also caused things to happen in the real world"

"How long has this been going on?" I was concerned, and a little hurt. I mean, he has had weird trips to the medicine cat den. Why didn't he tell me himself?

"Started before the fire, his first one was pretty rough on him"

"How many has he had?"

"Only one other, and it sadly had already happened..." Applestar said sadly. "Even more depressing, the first prophecy hasn't been fulfilled at all"

"What does the prophecy foretell?" the worry in my chest building as this conversation continues.

"Blood of your blood will be spilled, and the darkness within the storm shall not be stopped until the lake is thick with it" Applestar recited.

"It sounds like Starclan is talking to Puddlesplash specifically, is it his responsibility to save us?"

"I don't know, in truth the only thing we connected to it is that his father is also involved, but since Foxhop's death I am unsure now" He sighed and looked away, completely ignoring me stiffening.

Was I suppose to kill Foxhop? What if-

"Anyway, the whole 'threat in the storm' and 'lake turning red with blood' has all of us stumped"

"Are you not worried about solving it now? It could happen at any moment? What if it's talking about war, or disease, or something worse?"

"Oh Starclan..." he pulled his ears back and shook his head slightly. "Can't the clans have some time of peace"

"Shouldn't we go to the moonpool? Or ask Puddlesplash to try and have more visions? Why isn't this at the top of your list? For all we know the whole turning the lake red with blood part has me wondering how many cats will die?"

"We can't just ask Puddlesplash's to control his powers! He barely seems to understand them himself! And they physically hurt him, and they affect the real world in some way! We could put him and our clan mates in danger"

"Yes but-"

"Our job is to solve the prophecy, not go looking for more answers when Starclan won't give them"

"Yes sir..." I reluctantly agreed.

"I just wanted to bring you into the situation Mapleclaw. Don't go bothering Puddlesplash about his gift alright? He hates himself more than he should over it..." he dismissed me with a flick of his tail and I dragged my paws out of the leaders den. On my way down back into the main clearing angry thoughts ran through my head.

How is he so unbothered by this? The clan could be in danger by this darkness in the storm! Puddlesplash could be in danger by it! He could die! My best  friend could be kil-

"Mapleclaw?" I stopped and whipped my head up to glare at the cat. My gaze didn't soften when I saw my sister, really I think my temper spiked up higher.

"What do you want?" I spat. She flinched and pulled her ears back. Orchidfrost looked a little to the side, wrapping her tail around her paws. She clenched her jaws and shut her eyes before lifting her head with spite.

"You know what, I am done with this! I have been trying so hard to make up for everything cause I love you! You are my sister, my littermate! But you keep holding the fact I had kits with- Ugh- with him over my head! You love my daughters yet you despise me! Starclan above only knows how many snide remarks and verbal abuse I have endured from you!"

"You shou-"

"No! I had depression! I hated myself! Something you didn't help with when you would berate me and would treat me horribly!" She sighed and looked away. "I came here to tell you I am pregnant with Branchtails kits, but I guess sibling love is something you don't have anymore" she left me standing in the warriors den surprised. Her words settled in. And once again guilt did too.