Chapter 47: Puddlesplash

"Coppernose you can stay and grieve if you want" I stated to the black tom. He shook his head.

"It's alright, going on patrol will keep me distracted"

"You sure Coppernose?"

"Yeah, Sycamorepaw would have wanted me to keep going"

"Alright, if you say so. We have a bit of ground to cover so let's go" I muttered. I gave Coppernose a comforting look before leading my patrol out. Our trip was to cover the Windclan border. I was only supposed to be bringing Nightrain, Blizzardpaw, and Iceeye but Coppernose wanted to come along. I think he wanted to spend more time with Nightrain after losing his brother. I noticed him and Nightrain have gotten close.

"How long will this patrol take, I wanna be back to take my normal nap" Iceeye mumbled in the back. Coppernose couldn't help but laugh at the nostalgia of his old mentor. I think him laughing was a good sign

"Don't worry Iceeye, this should take only the normal amount of time" I chuckled a little.

"Hey Puddlesplash!" Moonwater called out my name. We weren't that far from camp so she caught up pretty quickly.

"What is it Moonwater?" I stopped the group.

"I wanted to talk to you in private" she whispered to me once she caught up completely. I shrugged and turned to the patrol.

"You guys can continue on with out me, Nightrain will lead"

"Sure Puddlesplash!" Nightrain smiled and walked beside Coppernose as she continued on with their trip to the border. 

"Catch up soon Kin!" Blizzardpaw smiled before running up to catch up with the others. I turned to Moonwater.

"What do you need to talk about? Is it about you wanting me to lie?" I whispered.

"Yeah, I been trying to get you alone but Maplestar is watching me like a hawk" she mumbled.

"I'm confused" I looked at her with worry. "Why is Maplestar watching?"

"I'll tell you why, I promise, but I need to know what really happened in your dream. Was there really six graves or did you make that up?"

"No there were graves... just not six. There was a seventh"

"What was unique about it? It seems to be if you didn't mention it to Maplestar" Moonwater sounded sporadic as she spoke. It kind of worried me about her sanity.

"Well... it was just a hole with a mound of dirt next to it, I think it was meant for a cat but it was empty and ready to be used"

"I knew it!" She leaped in joy and I kind took a step backwards, startled. "Puddlesplash I knew she was lying! I knew it!"

"What, what was she lying about?"

"Think about it, a grave unused? Cause the cat isn't dead!" She must have seen I was still confused and took a few steps back. "Oh yeah, I really should explain"

"Yeah please"

"Ok, since Maplestar came back from the moonpool and Coldheart... well... since Coldheartd death, I noticed she didn't have nine lives. Of course I thought the issue was me, but wasn't!"

"Wait, Maplestar really doesn't have nine lives?"

"Nope! And she doesn't want any one to know, that's why she was gaslighting me"

"But why wouldn't she, I mean Apple-" I stopped and realized quickly what the empty grave meant.

"See, Applestar isn't dead. And Mapleclaw doesn't want any cat to know that"

"Why would she be keeping up some stupid charade? Why wouldn't she just come to me? Why isn't she looking for him, she really did care for her former mentor"

"Here is where everything gets a little controversial, but I need you to keep an open mind about it. Please?"

"Umm... sure" I eyed her suspiciously.

"I think she killed Applestar, or at least tried to. Why else would she cover up the fact she isn't our true leader. She-"

"She wouldn't hurt Applestar, there is too much trust and history between them"

"Yet she was the only one with him when he supposedly died"

"Moonwater do you not even realize what is coming out of your mouth? You are implying that a deputy tried to commit the murder of our leader"

"So? It has happened before in the past"

"That is different, those were just stories to tell kits not to be greedy"

"Really? Is it really that different? Mapleclaw is a ambitious cat. And everyone could see she had an eye for the position of leader"

"I-I-" was all I could stutter.

"Puddlesplash you can't ignore the facts"

"The loose facts" I muttered.

"Puddlesplash come on!"

"Can... can we talk about this later? I need to think about this"

"Puddlesplash we don't have time to think about this! She is doing more harm than good as leader! She isn't suppose to be leader! For Starclan sake I bet she killed Coldheart and was the cat who killed Foxhop! She-"

"Maplestar is my closest friend, one I have had since kit-hood! How dare you imply she would kill a medicine cat! Or my own brother!" I yelled loudly. "Maplestar wouldn't do that stuff!"

"Can't you see what she is doing? She holds herself up in the leaders den and only comes out for food and to get one of us! She treats you horribly too! She only talks to you to order you about!"

"She is just frustrated since White-"

"That was over two moon ago! I am telling you Puddlesplash, as one of your other close friends, that Mapleclaw isn't a good cat. She has killed cats to get to where she is now and doesn't want anyone to know that Applestar is still alive!"

"If he is then where is he? Why hasn't he come back to Thunderclan! What if this is all in your head Moonwater! Oh Starclan you made me lie to Maplestar..."

"Cause she shouldn't be using you for just your power! Oh come on Puddlesplash you got to see what is happening in front of your own eyes!"

"This is over Moonwater, now I have a patrol to do" I growled angrily. I trotted off before Moonwater could say anything more. My mind was racing as I panicked. What if she is right? What if Maplestar tried to kill Applestar... what if she killed Coldheart and- no Maplestar wouldn't. She wouldn't do that to her clan mates... Moonwater is just exhausted that's all... Maplestar wouldn't kill her clan mates...