Chapter 44: Maplestar

"Hey, is Puddlesplash ok?" Rushfire came up to me the moment I was away from Highrock.

"Yeah, he is fine. I think... I didn't think he would actually pass out. Or that the sleep walking was real"

"Yeah... it can be pretty weird" Rushfire laughed nervously. "Can I go see him?"

"Sure, though I think he is asleep again"

"Thanks Maplestar" he rushed off to see his mate. I watched him go before walking over to the nursery. I had been wanting to see Orchidfrost kits since they were born. She had three kits. From what Branchtail reluctantly told me she had a tom and two she-cats. I know she hates me but I wanted to see me new kin. I pushed through the entrance and into the nursery. Sagelight was off in the corner struggling to keep her four kits in check. On the other side Orchidfrost was staring at three little bundles with admiration in her eyes. Dawndrop was tending to dividing up the dry moss between the three nests. I walked over to my littermate which she quickly flicked her ears and turned to greet.

"Branchtail you- oh it is you" Orchidfrost joyful smile dropped into a grimace as she realized it was me. "I guess you came to see my kits"

"Can you be a little less rude?" I asked with an anxious smile. Orchidfrost mumbled something incoherently and looked away. I forced myself to not retort at her coldness and went to look at the three newest editions. "Can you tell me about them?"

"Sure" she said reluctantly. My sister moved her tail a bit to give me a better view. "The dark red tabby she-kit is Heatkit" Orchidfrost purred. I felt a sting of anger and grief as I stared at that kit. Heatkit was very similar to our father, Breezeheat. She had the same tabby marking and was the same shade of red. The only difference was this she-kit had a grey tabby face and paws. I can understand why my sister gave the kit that name.

"She looks like dad" I said, trying hard to not emote my mixed feelings about him. My sister didn't say anything about it but continued with the kits.

"Then the brown and white tabby tom-kit is Elmkit". I let my eyes wander to the tom. He was a much better mixture of Orchidfrost and Branchtail. His brown patches and tabby markings were similar to that of Branchtail, but his creamy white color and round ears were definitely from Orchidfrost.

"And the last one?"

"Her name is Bumblekit, she is the oldest". The second she-kit was a white tortoiseshell like Orchidfrosts other daughter Cardinalrush. However Bumblekit had a lighter red than her older half kin.

"They are all beautiful kits" I purred. I didn't want to make Orchidfrost more angry than she probably already is.

"Yeah, I cant wait to see them grow up" she smiles softly. I hadn't seen the white tortoiseshell smile like that since we were apprentices. I wanted to say something to her but nothing came out.

"You should get going though Maplestar" Dawndrop said as she began to gently nudge me out of the nursery.

"What? Why?"

"I wanna keep visitations down with all this sickness, no need to risk the kits health" Dawndrop said as I left the nursery. I glared at the creamy orange tabby before trudging into the snow covered clearing.

First Briarstar and now this sickness?! Is Starclan punishing me... and I still gotta find time to look for Applestar... and tell my clanmates about the war and Skyclans withdrawal of alliance... and figure out why a dark forest cat attacked Applestar but not me... and what Puddlesplash's new dream is about, and the old prophecy that I guess hasn't been fulfilled...

"Maplestar!" Ravenclaw came up to me looking sour.

"What is it?"

"None of the apprentices have come to clear out the elders bedding" he complained. "Puddlesplash was doing it, which I am grateful to the deputy for, but it is an apprentice duty"

"Sorry, I have them all out for practice or patrols, I'll have one of the older warriors do it"

"That's not the point" Ravenclaw grumbled, "doing the chores build respect and a sense of duty in an apprentice"

"So does training," I argued, "I'll send some cat later, I got thing to do though so good bye". I left the elder standing in the snowy clearing looking steamed. I felt angry towards myself. Damm Fox dung! You are failing pretty hard here Mapleclaw

"Cardinalrush give that back!" I heard Flutterpaw yell. I looked over and saw my kin trotting away with a tiny mouse in her jaw. The orange and grey tabby apprentice running after her. "Cardinalrush!"

"What is going on here?" I walked over. Cardinalrush looked annoyed as I approached while Flutterpaw looked relieved.

"She took a mouse I was planning on giving Puddlesplash since I know he hadn't eaten all day or yesterday, can you make her give it back please?" She asked nicely. Cardinalrush dropped it and glared at the apprentice.

"Well I haven't eaten either! Puddlepaw should get his own damm food!"

"Hey! He has been super busy unlike you lazy bones!"

"Hey! That is enough!" I growled. Both young cats stopped quarreling. I felt my tummy hurt from hunger and looked at the mouse.

"I'll take it, Flutterpaw you should go and see if you can catch for the queens and you Cardinalrush will go hunt for yourself, but bring back something for the elders or just to add to the pile to make up for your lack of respect for your deputy" Both looked annoyed at the verdict but didn't argue. I picked up the mouse and trotted over to the prey pile and dropped back into the pile. I groaned loudly at the squabble that just happened.