Chapter 16: Puddlesplash

I was just numb. We carefully walked along the territory looking for any of our missing clan mates, but we all knew it was futile. The ground was soaked with an ash and rain mixture. It kinda looked like leaf-bare, except it carried more tragedy than anything. Smoke still billowed lightly from certain areas as we walked to what was camp. The light drizzle above being the only comfort for my clan mates and I.

Please... please...please be alive.

"Kindpetal! Any cat!"

"Snappaw! Swallowtail!"

"Wishstar!"

"Luckywish! Minnowkit!" It made me flinch hearing

"Puddlesplash come here" Rushfire said. I looked back and my mate looked at me with mourning look. He had sat down and had uncurled his tail. He knew I needed a cuddle. I walked over and pressed my head into his chest and just started crying. The clan just continued on, slowly leaving Rushfire and I alone in the charred derby. Once I was sure no one stayed behind I cried softly.

"I-I!" I cried, the mourning in my voice causing me to choke unable to finish my sentence

"Puddlesplash you did alright"

"I-I should have went back to camp with Foxhop! W-wh-hic- why did I stop him! Maybe we could-hi -could have gotten to-"

"Puddlesplash you know deep down you wouldn't have" Rushfire said calmly. I wanted to argue with that, but in the back of my mind the thought of reason prevented he so I just cried harder.

"I-I failed..."

"You didn't" Rushfire purred softly and held me tighter.

***

Night had taken hold of the sky by the time everyone had search the burnt renains of the forest. They found Luckywish, Minnowkit, and Wishstar's body in the medicine cat den. They weren't burned but it must have been all the smoke. Luckywish was in the way back of the den standing over Minnowkit while Wishstar was found closer to the entrance. Snappaw, Swallowtail, and Kindpetal were no where to be found and many already came to terms that we weren't going to find them. We laid out who we could and took part of the vigil for all six. Darkcloud couldn't even bring himself to look at Luckywish's silver body, much less Minnowkits. It hurt everyone to see a kits body out in the open right now, we all felt exposed. I kept myself distant from the vigil, I was more focused on trying to feel something. Ravenclaw was still hoping to see his mate Kindpetal return while Smokefoot was trying to be there for his other younger kit, Springpaw. Sagelight and Foxhop had curled themeselves up together as they laid in vigil. It hurt everyone.

"All warriors old enough to catch their own prey, join under high rock!" Applebrook called out.

"He wants to call a meeting now?" Tanglestripe groaned, but he quickly bit his tongue.

"We have lost many cats today and-"

"Kindpetal is coming back!" Ravenclaw yelled. The black tom was still holding on to hope. I just lazily looked over but said nothing. Rushfire came over and sat next to me, looking worried but I couldn't care less.

"-and I know many of you are worried about the lack of protection and prey! But Skyleaf and Mapleclaw found that the forest beyond stone hallow was untouched so we can collect bracken and re-build camp quickly tomorrow!" Many cats murmured in just small delight.

"Coldheart also said no one is suffering from smoke inhalation!"

"That's good" Rushfire said with a nudge. I still didn't respond, just nodded my head.

"I-I know this is way to quick... just after we lost Wishstar... but I do have make a new deputy of Thunderclan before the high moon" Applebrooks wires rang true no matter how much no one wanted to hear them. He stood up straighter and began the ceremony "I say these words before StarClan, so that the spirit of Wishstar and our fallen clan mates may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of Thunderclan is Skyleaf!" Now I perked up. I scanned the clearing and spotted Skyleaf looking surprised that his best friend would announce him as deputy. Skyleaf shook his head and walked forward and stood next to Applebrook.

"I accept your offer and promise to serve Thunderclan as deputy" Skyleaf bowed and the crowd cheered solemnly.

"Skyleaf! Skyleaf! Skyleaf!" I could feel my numbness drift away a little and felt happy for my old mentor. I saw Mapleclaw from the corner of my eye looking displeased by the choice of deputy but seemed content not to protest. Applebrook ended the meeting with a flick of his tail and Skyleaf nodded and took action.

"I know it's late everyone, but let us at least set up cats to collect bracken tomorrow! Those who I asign to dawn patrol won't have to!" Skyleaf quickly beckoned Tanglestripe, Sparrowscar, and Neville over.

"Wow, he has this already taken care of" Rushfire said.

"Yea-yeah..."

"Let's go check to see if he needs us to do anything, alright?" Rushfire nudged me up on my paws and I followed him towards Skyleaf.

"Hey guys, you two should be resting up" Skyleaf glanced at he with concern. "Shouldn't you want to be in the vigil?"

"I-I don't feel mentally upset for that..."

"I understand"

"Do you need us to do anything now or tomorrow?"

"If you two aren't gonna be part of the vigil do you mind helping Coldheart set up some moss for the queens and kits? They'll be sleeping in the medicine cat den tonight"

"Sure, come on" Rushfire nudged me again and I followed. Before I even entered the medicine cat den I heard Dawndrop talking.

"I told them something awful would happen if the didn't solve my families murders. Starclan has punished us for not ta-" I stopped dead in my tracks, turned tail, and stomped off. A sudden, burning hatred rose in me and I had no idea where I was going but far away from that. Rushfire called out to me but I ignored it.

I-I just want to be alone...