Chapter 8

Shawn insisted that he pay for the two books, and I let him. I mean..he can afford it, and he forced me to let him pay.

We walked home and he crashed on the couch.

"You're not so bad after all," I say, placing my phone on the stand beside the couch and sitting down next to him.

"Well neither are you," he admits with a small smile.

"Let's watch something," I decide, handing him the TV remote so he could pick. "Okay, what should we watch?" 

I let out a yawn, slightly embarrassed, "Whatever you want."

"You sure you're not tired?" He asks slyly. No, I'm not," I refused stubbornly.

He puts on a movie, but I wasn't really paying attention to it. I stared at him shamelessly.

His eyes were trained on the TV screen before me, his arm lazily resting on the edge of the couch, behind me.

He has been kind to me, this whole day. I feel like this isn't real. I've always known him to be the cold, arrogant singer that I've seen and read about.

I guess he's full of surprises too. 

At least now I can bear being his wife for 5 years. I still hate how we have no privacy though, since Shawn is really famous.

He laughs at something on the movie, his chest rumbling and his eyes shining. He looks back to me and cocks his head like a rooster, "You okay?"

I smile, "Yeah, I'm great." He turns back to the movie.

I let out a yawn and I lean on Shawn's left shoulder. He sneaks his left hand around my body and places it on my waist without a word.

Sneaky little bastard. 

I feel my eyelids starting to get heavy and I close my eyes, letting out a sigh. 

I could live a life like this.

I woke up in the middle of the night in Shawn's bed. He must have carried my fat ass into the room. I look over to Shawn, who was sleeping peacefully, an arm draped around my torso.

I light, tapping sound filled my ears, along with something being moved around. What the hell is that? Whatever it is, it woke me up.

I slowly removed Shawn's arm off of me and got up. I walk closer to the source of the noise.

I think it's coming from the patio.

I turn around the corner and managed to see a figure moving outside.

What. The. Hell.

I run back into the room, panting. I'm scared. Someone is trying break into our home!!!! 

"Shawn, Shawn," I shake him awake quickly, as I hear the distant sounds getting louder. He groans, stirring awake. "What time is it?" He whines, closing his eyes again.

"Shawnn, get up, please! I think there's someone trying to break in," I rush hurriedly, feeling stressed.

"What?" He sits up. "Shhhh," I quiet him down, "You hear that?" He gets out of bed and nods. "You stay here and call the police. I'm going to go check it out. Don't leave unless I come and get you. It's not the first time, a crazy fan has tried to get into my penthouse," he mutters the last sentence, feeling tired.

"Let me come," I try to insist. I hate being the damsel in distress. "I get the final say," he spoke, firm and calculating.

"Okay. Be careful," I sighed reluctantly, releasing his hand that I don't even remember grasping. I take the time to call 911 and tell them about the intruder.

"Shit," I hear Shawn say. I decided to disobey Shawn's orders and leave his room. "Shawn? Are you okay?" I call out, trying to see in the darkness. 

I noticed a figure lying on the floor and a figure standing up. Who is who? I secretly prayed that the one standing up was Shawn.

I switched the light on to see a man wearing all black clothes lying on the floor, unconscious. Shawn was standing in front of him, holding his fist. "I told you not to come out until I came back," Shawn spoke, angry at me. "I was worried," I admitted, "What happened?"

Shawn looks away. "I punched him in the gut. But it was self defense. He didn't want me alive, and was carrying this in his hand," Shawn spoke harshly, holding up a long iron rod in his hand.

"Did he hurt you?" I asked, silently searching for any visible bruises. Thankfully, none. "No," Shawn shook his head.

Sirens approach the front of the house, silencing our conversation. Shawn went ahead and explained everything to the cops.

God I'm so tired. Can I live like this? What if Shawn wasn't here to protect us? What would have happened? 

The cops left with the unconscious body, thankfully.

"Hello? Hi Andrew, this is Shawn. Requesting a wave of security guards, as an incident happened tonight. No, we are both fine. Just please get that done asap. Oh, and install newer security cameras that will send an alert to me. Thanks, bye," Shawn was on a quick call.

I sat on the bed, staring at one spot on the wall. I feel...dazed. I don't know if dazed is the right word, but something like that.

"You alright?" He asked me again. "Just peachy," I answered in reply. I'm not about to spill my problems to him.

Sure he has been nice to me today, but it's definitely a one time thing. Can't rely on him all the time. 

Whatever happened to being independent Amber?

"It's really my fault for not having an updated security system. Sorry you had to go through that," he apologizes sincerely.

I don't reply.

"What's wrong?" He asks me, scooting closer until our sides were touching.

I never wanted this life at all. This luxury, no privacy, practically no freedom. I did this for my father, but he doesn't give a flying fuck about all the sacrifices I've made. 

I'm not ready to share with him, no matter how kind he is to me.

"Nothing," I said coldly, slipping into bed and turning off the lights.