Chapter 38

Enjoy this 2200 word chapter :)

***

"Are we actually done with it? How long did it take?" He glanced at the clock and shrugged, "I don't know, like 4 hours? Pretty fast since we did it together."

I waved his compliment, "Oh shut up, I barely did anything, it was really all you. I just sat here and took up space," I paused, "and occasionally distracted you." 

I winked, and I noticed his cheeks heat up at the comment. We surely had gotten loads of work done.

Shawn and I had finished writing half of the new song, "Perfectly Wrong," and had also touched up the other songs as well. He altered it so that each song had a distinctive feature about it that made it- perfect.

Like I said, he basically did it all. I just provided enthusiasm.

"Want to finish writing Perfectly Wrong, or go to sleep? It's, " he checked the time again, "2 am."

I shrugged, "I don't feel tired at all. Besides, I want to finish this." 

He nodded in confirmation, and started playing the arrangement he had produced on the piano. I closed my eyes and let my ears be engulfed by the sweet bliss, followed by his soothing voice.

But there was so much pain that I had to look away from him a moment. To recollect myself. His words were tugging at my heart so fiercely that all coherent thought vanished.

Oh, you know how much it hurts
Every time you say you hate me
But when we're makin' love, you make it worth it
Can't believe the places that you take me

There's no use, we were made to break
I know the truth, and it's much too late

You're perfectly wrong for me
And that's why it's so hard to leave
Yeah, you're perfectly wrong for me
Oh, you're perfectly wrong for me
All the stars in the sky could see
Why you're perfectly wrong for me

Oh, and why I can't quit when you break my heart open?
I need you more than I know, oh
and I can't resist when you're up against my skin
I never wanna let you go

You're perfectly wrong for me
And that's why it's so hard for me
Yeah, you're perfectly wrong for me, mm
Hate that you know that I won't leave
Yeah, you're perfectly wrong for me

His eyes glistened as he finished the song. He was going to cry. 

"It's better than anything I dreamed it would," I offered him a soft smile, his eyes boring holes into mine. The golden specks were flickering, and her breath was haggard and his voice a little raspy.

He was beyond perfect.

"You are better than anyone I've dreamed of," he admitted, licking his lips momentarily before glancing back at the piano. 

"I want you all to myself, " I leaned forward, our faces a millimeter apart, "but I can't be that selfish."

"I'm selfish too. Maybe that's a good thing. I won't ever let go," and on queue, his hands gripped my arm. I squeezed back. A small squeeze, but it was enough.

Enough to know what we both meant. 

He looked away for just a moment, his eyes slightly hazy as he blinked, clearing his throat and pulling away from me. "We should, uh, get back to the song."

"Right," a small small teased on my lips, reminiscing what had just happened. He was shy about it. How cute.

We had said 'I love you,' once, but we didn't want to overuse the word. It meant so much to both of us, we couldn't throw it around simply.