Chapter One

Lucy's POV

Natsu, Happy and I are on a mission, nothing too exciting just escorting a merchant as he and his daughter travel from Magnolia to Crocus. They had too much stuff to ride the train and we were traveling slow enough that Natsu could walk so I didn't have to listen to him complain just before he got sick the whole time.

I sit back and stretch my arms, it's about time I got off the wagon and moved a bit. I don't want to be stiff or sore if we are attacked, but I also don't want to be exhausted from walking the whole way either. Balance.

I jump off and call for Plu so I can feel my magic course through me while I walk, it's not a lot but it's enough to keep me from being too idle. Natsu thinks I'm being weird but oh well. I love to walk with Plu. He is so cute and at the pace we are traveling it would be super easy to catch up if we decided to play I bit. Okay maybe I'm not taking this mission too seriously.

The merchant doesn't have too much in the way of merchandise and honestly I'm wondering if he is just moving because I don't think I saw one thing he could want to sell. Just what looked like worn clothes and things. But it doesn't matter if he is just moving or not he wanted our protection right? So why can't I just concentrate?

I let Plu go back to the Celestial Realm and walk next to Natsu. "So what are you thinking about?" I asked him.

Natsu's POV

"So what are you thinking about?" Lucy asked as she was finally walking next to me. Yes finally, my skin has been crawling since we passed the last town. I can't shake the feeling that something is wrong.

"Something isn't right. The air is all wrong for this time of day. It's far too silent, not enough birds or insects making enough noise. And if it's possible the sun isn't bright enough." I frown, even though I know I sound crazy. This whole thing is wrong. It keeps screaming in my head that this isn't right, we shouldn't be here.

Lucy looks at me for a second then at Happy who is just sleeping on my bag. She nods to herself, then smiles at me. "Okay, let's check it out!" I just look at her. She believes me? She barely even looked around yet she believes me. I can't help the smile on my face as I put my bag, with Happy, down on the moving cart before we both step away from it.

She summons Sagittarius and Loke and honestly my chest hurts a bit when I see Loke. Why? I ignore the feeling and try to listen to what Lucy is telling them.

"Something doesn't feel right, almost artificial in the area. Please scout around us to see what all is going on." She asked the spirits who agreed. But not before Loke kisses Lucy's hand. Urg why does he have to be so weird?

Maybe I'm catching the weirdness because now I want to kiss her hand. I bet I could make her smile though. Unlike Loke who just seems to irritate her. I bet I could make her smile. Before I know what I'm doing I grab her hand.

"What's up Natsu?" she asks as if I do this all the time. I guess I do now that I think about it, crap.

"Let's go this way, my nose is itching." I try to look serious when I say it but look away anyway. Not before I see her smile and start to nod in agreement though. Mavis what is wrong with me? Maybe I'm hungry? But that doesn't make sense.

Lucy and I head the opposite direction of where her spirits go and look around. Lucy even uses Aries stardress to help boost her speed and defense but still. We were about to give up when I looked into the sky again. The sun really feels wrong. the light should be brighter and it shouldn't be as warm as it is.

Lucy must have seen me looking up because she starts using Aries wool magic to create stepping stones and jumps up. She is up higher than the trees when suddenly she is gone. Just gone, no struggle or fight just vanished.