Chapter Fourteen

Natsu's POV

We look around the island searching for all the little things that were going on. We found what looked like a village and found out from the locals that the monsters had been plaguing them for over a year now.

"We had all given up hope but you're saying that the magic council sent just you two? Do they think so little of us?" The village chief asked us.

I watched as Luce gently patted his arm and smiled at him, "We will free you of them. But is there anything you can tell us about why the island is unreachable except for the new and full moon? Or even dawn and dusk? It would have helped if they could find the island."

"Oh I see, so you're the scouting team then. Yes well that problem will resolve itself in about a month. You see once every hundred years the tides raise and that is what protects the island. One of our ancestors used a magic spell to protect us so when the island would otherwise go under water we stay safe in an air dome. It only last for a year though." Luce and I nod understanding, magic is wonderful but can also be really weird.

I look at her and smile, "So we have one month to clear out all the monsters before the council arrives and try to claim we failed."

I watch her smile, "I bet we can get it done in a week, after all the Islanders have suffered for a long time now." The way her voice purred was pulling me in but I resisted. They are probably still watching us using some kind of magic otherwise how would they know if we actually did the job?

"Do you know how many monsters are on the island?" I ask, forcing my attention back to the chief, Luce is driving me nuts.

"Fifty-six but surely you must be joking? How could you two defeat that many?" He asked us shocked.

I smile real big and pull Luce close, "Don't you know? We are Fairy Tail!" I show them my arm where my insignia is and Luce holds up her right hand showing hers.

Luce calls Aries and Loke and stations them with the villagers and sets up a simple defense in case any get by us. The villagers just watch as Tauros and I cut down some nearby trees and bury them with Virgo's help and Scorpio and Cancer helped sharpen them.

"I think I understand now," I heard the chief whisper in horror as he watched us with the rest of the village. "They didn't send us two people, they sent us an army."

In the space of an hour we had the village fortified and Luce's spirits were teaching a number of the villagers how to drop the logs to knock over attackers and how to drop the covers that concealed the pit of spikes. We would never use these on people and already have quick and easy ways to dispose of them and fill the holes so no one would get hurt after we leave. Virgo and Scorpio being at the center of it. But monsters on the other hand were fair game.

By the time we were done we were exhausted and Capricorn served us dinner without being asked, considering he was already out helping with the preparations. We were lounging on the grass resting after we were done when I jumped up and started stretching.

"How are you feeling Luce? If you're still tired you can rest while I go out and get the weaker ones. You used a lot of magic just getting the village ready." I ask while I flex my legs.

"Oh no you don't we'll go together so if you're ready so am I," she responded jumping up.

"Fine, then let's sleep until tonight and when the sun goes down is when we will attack. Maybe use a bonfire to lure them in. They won't know what hit them." I yawn and see her visibly relax.

The chief offered us his bed considering the fact that many homes had been destroyed over the past year thanks to the monsters. That was more than enough.