Chapter Sixteen

Lucy's POV

Natsu and I arrived on the island in the middle of the night and they had an actual bed ready for us, claiming that everyone had a bed and not to worry. So when we were finally alone again I demanded his attention. The train ride had only wet my appetite, the swim having done nothing to calm me, and I was not going to let him get away again. The way he filled me was thrilling and the fact that we had to be quiet had my heart racing, whenever he came it would flood into me like a hot spring that was finally free. We did not sleep and we got up plenty early for another round in the shower before having to go out with the villagers.

We were having fun with the villagers eating food and dancing much to Pan's delight. He agreed that the only punishment would be whatever sore muscles we got in exchange for coming out and that the pain was only the cost for fighting. The villagers loved him; they danced and partied around the bonfire all day until it was quite late at night.

Suddenly the music stopped and I looked at Pan who just shrugged at me. Before the chief started talking;

"Today is the farewell moon, the first full moon after the sea becomes the sky. Fitting as it is also the first full moon since Fairy Tail left us after they saved us from all of those horrible monsters!" He paused as the villagers started hooting and hollering and then he waited for them to settle down before continuing. "Today is also the day we say goodbye to the spirits of our loved ones who passed on during our difficult times." The crowd grew silent as if they were sobered by the thought of all their late friends.

"We still have left to vote, the fate of these two children!" He announced and I saw the blue haired boy and curly red haired girl from before again. I looked frantically at Natsu who was also wide eyed. "Is there anyone here who would take these two small children into their home as they are now?" The silence was more deafening than any music, several minutes passing in silence.

"What will happen to the children if none of you will take them in?" I was unable to take the silence any longer, my heart was breaking and the longer the silence the more it hurt.

"They will be sent to the mainland in hopes of brighter futures there." A woman whispered in answer to my question, the chief ignoring me as he waited for an answer from any of the villagers.

"But why won't any of you take them in? Don't they have any family among you?" I asked loud enough to be heard.

"These two are family only to each other. Their family was killed by a monster not long before you two arrived to help us. They were outsiders but they were friends." The woman answered me again, they were orphans. They had nobody in this world at all...

I looked at Natsu, my heart hurt, my heart hurt more than it had a right to. I wanted to take these babies and hold them tight, to tell them everything was going to be okay. I wanted to beg Natsu but two kids at once? Is that really a good idea? The war raged inside of me, my heart and head unable to agree wholly with each other.

Natsu smiled gently, pulled me in and kissed me in front of everyone. It wasn't a heated kiss it was sweet and gentle but passionate. When he finally released me, still looking into my eyes he raised his voice so anyone and everyone could hear him, "We will!"

The gasp from around us would have been audible even without our enhanced dragon hearing. The murmurs drifted into the air as if confused.

"You don't have to do this." The chief tried to explain. "They are still very young and they could easily find homes on the mainland. They will not go without."

I can't help smiling at my mate, it's time. "If you want us to wait until they get there to adopt them we can, but they are ours now. It's kind of a dragon thing." Natsu laughed a little looking at the kids squatting down so that he wouldn't tower over them.