draft

I had lunch in the office. I still had to get used to the fact that most went out and bought lunch and didn't bring it from home. Danish packed lunch habit? Perhaps?

We had a draft!

We had just exactly finished that draft when I was off. It required more work the following day. I put my heels in the bottom drawer and turned off the computer before I stood.

"Christina?"

I turned and my boss was making her way towards me. Trisha. Her name was Patricia but she was called Trisha. "What?" I asked.

She smiled and pushed her black specs up her nose. "Have you decided about the classes?"

I nodded slowly. It was 500 dollars, the company was paying a bit of it. "I'd like to go," I said. It could be so cool!

"I'll sign you up for it," she said. "I'll deduct the money from your next paycheck, okay?" she asked.

"Mm, yeah, that's fine," I said.

She smiled. "Get home safe." She said.

I grabbed my bag and left the office.

There wasn't, because I was a bit late, any line at the elevators. I pushed the button and waited. Dad had sent me an email. I would have to check my stocks, but that wouldn't be until I got back home. Yes, that was my little bonus. Dad helped, if I was completely lost, otherwise I managed it all by myself. It was the reason I had enough money.

The pling announced the elevator arriving.

I watched the door, and charcoal suit and his security guard was present. Charcoal suit was busy with his phone. Still.

The guard sent me a polite smile before I stepped into the elevator.

I watched the panel, and they were heading down the lobby.

Some Americans broke the silence. I was too Danish to do anything about the silence. Especially when charcoal suit was on his phone. He was leaned back against the back wall of the elevator and was scrolling on his phone. I retrieved my phone and checked dad's email.

I knew I should've checked up on my money. And one day Dad would remind me.

The previous Friday night I'd been out with Trisha and two of her friends. She wanted me to feel welcome. I did, and I really liked her. Lucky for me, she didn't have any issues switching between leader role and friend role.

We reached the lobby. I put my phone in my bag and stepped out of the elevator.

"Miss Denmark," the guard smiled.

I smiled, waved and went into the summer evening. It was august but it was still pretty warm.

My trip home was short.

I halfway ran up the stairs, unlocked the door and opened my laptop. My internet was good, and I was online in seconds. I logged in, and even though I should probably get something to eat, I was busy with something else. Something called money. Grammar Nazi with a weakness for money and the knowledge of how to make more money.