epilogue

He wouldn't tell me what had sent him panicking to my room, and I had that about Mom, so I guess we all had secrets?

When I woke Sunday morning he was already out of bed, making pancakes for breakfast.

I had packed my bags and was ready to go home for Christmas. I had given Alexander my present to him. Correction, I had given it to Jazz so Alexander wouldn't get it before Christmas.

The entire ride to the airport had taken place in deep silence.

Alexander didn't say a word, and he'd been staring out the windows the entire drive.

Truth be told, since he'd shown me the tree by Rockerfeller Center, we'd spent close to every other night together. My exams were over, and the outcome had been fine when I received the grades.

In the airport I checked in my luggage. I had checked in online from home.

Alexander had his hands in his pockets. He wore jeans and a t-shirt, not shirt. Jazz waited in the car.

"I'll be back," I promised.

He looked at me. "Save journey."

I stood on my tiptoes and kissed his cheek before I pulled back. "See you, Alexander."

He looked after me with a surprised look when I left for security. On the way down I looked back at him before he was out of sight. Now I'd probably started something I wasn't aware of how would play out.

But wasn't that the plan?

He had smelled faintly of some cologne and a little of soap. And then definitely of Alexander.

I could still feel his just there stubbles against my lips.

Was I ready to let him in when he had more issues than he'd ever mentioned.