Greene wishes a word

Monday I wore a high-neck sweater so my throat wouldn't be visible. I hadn't done anything on Sunday. Reading a book just for fun didn't count.

I hesitated before the building for a moment before stepping inside.

I scanned my card, smiled at the security guard and waited in line by the elevators.

The third elevator took me to my floor. I went to my office, turned on the computer and went into Trisha's office. Even though she was my boss and me employee, she was the person I was closest to in the moment.

I knocked on her door and pushed it open.

"Morning," she said and looked at me.

I had covered the bruise on my jaw so it didn't seem as bad.

I went in and shut the door after me. "I was with a few friends from high school Friday night," I began. "I went home alone around eight and a man wanted my bag and he, uhm, got sort of violent towards me." I said and pulled out on the neck of my sweater so she could see the bruise.

She was standing and around the table before I'd let go of my shirt. "Are you okay?" she asked worried. Her dark eyes scanned my face.

I nodded. "I just thought you should know," I said. Now I was new in New York and I was freaked out the day I saw the cop with the gun.

She still looked worried at me.

I moistened my lips. "I'll get to it." I said.

She nodded slowly.

I left her office and went back to my computer. I had that advertisement which had to be created on computer. Just today I was glad I didn't have to work with anyone else.

It took longer than anticipated but it wasn't because I couldn't solve it.

I ate my lunch with Trisha who wanted to know everything about Friday. I skipped the part about sleeping at Alexander Greene's place, the owner of the building. But except that I was consistent and kept to the story. I had talked with the police, had been checked by a doctor and had arrived back home safe.

I'd made the draft of the advertisement when I was off work. Text and images had been positioned, but I had to do the details and find the correct font and everything. It didn't help that I twice had been asked to help advertise some book cover which should've been completed.

I dumped my heels in the bottom drawer and stood. Time to get home.

I wanted to read, anything to abstract myself from what had happened Friday. Hide in another reality.

I waved goodbye to Trisha and went to the elevator. If I waited a moment I wouldn't be caught in an elevator with a million people.

I wanted to go home.

I pushed the button and waited.

The elevator furthers from me announced its arrival with a loud pling. I went to it and the doors opened.

Black suit. It looked like the security guard Alexander had.

He looked at me. "Can I have a word with you?" he asked.