unexpected visit

Someone pressed my doorbell just around nine. It was a few minutes past.

I stood, removed the blanket and went to the intercom. Who would drop by now? Maybe I had a small group of friends here, but they usually never turned up past nine out of nowhere. Or, they didn't stop by unless it was planned, to be honest. I hadn't invited anyone.

"Yes?" I answered the buzzing.

There was a long silence. Was this some sort of joke?

"Can I come up?"

"Alexander?" I asked. The crackled voice could be Alexander's voice.

"Yes," he said.

"Okay," I said and hit the button so he'd be allowed to walk up the stairs. This time he didn't just appear outside my front door.

It was a while before he knocked on my door.

I checked in the peephole. It was Alexander.

I removed the chain and opened the door.

Something had happened. That was the only thing I knew for sure. Anything else? No.

He stepped into the tiny hallway, and I locked the door. I also put the chain back.

"Hi," I said. "What are you doing here?" I asked. He was in running clothes, like the one other time where he'd been here. There weren't any smell of sweat, and his hair was wet.

He took a deep breath and pulled me into a hug.

Uhm?

I put my arms around his waist. "What's going on?" I asked against his shirt.

He let me go as if I'd hit him or something.

"Take off your shoes and come in," I said and looked at him.

"Now it's you who's ordering me around," he noticed and stepped out of his shoes.

"Probably," I said and grabbed his hand. I guided him into the living room and sat down on the couch. I wrapped the blanket around myself again.

He sat down on the couch and looked at the TV.

There was something about him that just didn't fit into this flat.

"Have you ever lived someplace this small?" I asked.

He turned his head to face me. "I lived in a college dorm," he said.

"Doesn't count."

"Then no," he said.

I smiled.

"Why?"

"You don't look like someone who could live on this little space," I said.

His eyebrows dived down causing his eyes to be in shadows, he didn't say a word.

Okay. What was up?

He pulled his leg up on the couch and lied down, his head in my lap.

My hands were lifted, as if someone pointed a gun at me. "What are you doing?" I asked quietly. What the hell was he doing?