night classes

They insisted on walking me home, and then they took the metro back to Jersey.

I changed into my pajamas and flipped through the books I would be using the following day. As late as during lunch, I'd picked up those books. Yes, Juan was talking the entire way. Once in a while you just need to get things out of your system.

Tuesday after work I felt as if I could fly. I was about to learn something!

I'd brought dinner from home and went to the college. Yes, it cost money, yes, I could afford it. I went into the building and went up the stairs to the right floor and found the classroom.

It was primarily guys, but there were girls present too. There were probably fifteen in total, when everyone had arrived. Eleven guys to four girls.

I was in the middle of the room. This was nice.

We started out by discussing the difference on a bond and a stock. I wasn't listening too much. A stock was a part of a company which you somehow bought. If the company increased its value, you could sell the stock with profit, if it declined in value you could risk losing money. That was what was so fun about it.

A bond was a sort of loan. You bought a part of the loan and then you received the interested from that.

After an exhaustive survey of the differences between the two, we had a short break.

The guy in front of me, who appeared to be a bit older than me, turned around.

"Where have I seen you before?" He asked.

"He wore his hair in a tight bun, dark hair, and brown eyes.

"No idea," I said. Were there even any pictures of me and Alexander somewhere from that event?

The guy was still looking questioning at me before he turned in his chair so he wasn't twisting his back too bad. "Why are you here?" he asked.

"I want to learn something," I said. "How about you?"

He smiled a crooked smile. "I only need two courses to be able to secure the job I really want, and so I'm attending those courses. And that even though I feel like I know what these courses will be about."

"Are you working during the day?"

He nodded. "I have the job for a six months trial, if I pass these courses, evening classes by the way, then I will secure the job full time. Insofar I don't mess up."

I smiled. "Nice." I said.

"What do you want to use this for?"

"Knowledge," I said.

"I'm Elliott," he said.

"Christina," I said.

He nodded slowly. "Can it be that I've seen you somewhere before?" he asked.

I sighed. "I was at a charity event for survivors of domestic abuse, both in respect to men and women, Friday night," I said.

"With Alexander Greene?"

I nodded.

"Are you together?" he asked.

"We have talked a little," I said. Now, I wouldn't define Alexander as a high caliber asshole when in reality I knew very little about him. We had been to that one event and he felt pressured to invite me simply based on pressure from media and the outside world.

Elliott nodded. "Do you have a job?"

I smiled. "I'm an advertisement developer and graphic designer," I said.

"Advertisement developer?" He asked. "Graphic designer?"

I smiled. "Yes."

"Then why economy?"

"My dad studied economy, and has a degree in economy, he owns his own business. And even though I, when I was little, thought it the most boring topic ever, then he expected I learned how to look after my economy, and so I did. Now it's a little bit of fun."

Elliott blinked. "Wow," he said. "I got a scholarship to a full education, against me having to pay for my living expenses. My parents live in Jersey so I just took the metro to here. Otherwise I'd never have done anything."

"What are your parents doing?" I asked.

"Dad is working in a factory, mom is a nurse. I have three younger brothers."

"Oh," I said. And with me, dad had paid for my entire education in America.

Elliott smiled. "My brothers are a lot younger than me, so I have plans to, once I've finished this, and actually have a real job with a real salary, start putting money aside so they can get an education without having to work their asses off their entire lives."

I laughed.

His smile got wider. "Are you working every day?"

I nodded. "Who doesn't'?"

"Lots of people, but I know where you're going with it," he said. "Your lunch break?"

"Twelve to one," I said. "Why?"

He looked away briefly before looking at me again. "We could eat together?" he suggested. "I need some insider knowledge on New York."

"You went to college here?" I asked.

"Yeah, the first semester," he said. "Then I transferred to a college outside of Manhattan because I was too easily distracted. Now I'm ready to get to know Manhattan."

I smiled. "Okay," I said. "I've lived her in close to two months now."

"Damn!" he exclaimed.

"I've been here before so I know a few things," I added.

He looked at me. "I would appreciate it." He said. "Thank you."

"Where is your office?"