intimacy

The drive felt like it went on forever, and that even though it was ten minutes, fifteen tops, before we arrived.

I let the jacket stay in the car and got out before Alexander had the chance to leave the car.

He walked around the car and put his hand on my back.

There were people, many people, and there were art on all the walls.

Now I didn't intend to be prissy, but this was not my style at all. I wanted something where I could see what it was intended to be. Especially with painting as they would hang on the walls much longer than an advertisement.

We each had a glass of something.

Alexander still had his hand on my back.

We met the artist, and I spotted Carolyn, Candace's friend with the afro hair.

"Hi, girl," she said. "You look sophisticated, has the mogul managed to trap you in his net?"

I briefly looked back at Alexander who was talking with the artist. "No," I said and shook my head slightly. "He hasn't managed to trap me in." Carolyn wore a tight dress that accentuated her model like figure.

"Listen, are you seeing him a lot?"

"I pretend to be his date," I said. "I guess we're sort of friends." And that even though I couldn't tell him about mom during dinner.

Carolyn looked at Alexander before smiling to me. "Candace asked me to warn you." She smiled.

"About what?" I asked.

"That he's only after one thing, and when he's gotten what he wants, you out."

"He's tried, but I don't want to," I said.

Carolyn nodded. "Impressive." She said.

I smiled. "He's too controlling for me to want to be anything but his friend."

She laughed. "Save him from despair," she said. "It looks like he wants to get away from Darrick."

"Darrick?" I asked. Carolyn's boyfriend was Darren.

"Darrick, the artist, he's gay," she said. "And it doesn't appear as if he's gotten the memo that Greene is not."

I looked back and Alexander was standing stiff as a board. "Hopefully we'll meet again," I said and left Carolyn to save Alexander.

He looked at me.

I grabbed his hand. "Hi," I said to Darrick. He wasn't my stereotypical gay, but not everyone wanted to wear tight jeans and low-cut shirts.

Darrick smiled. He was short, light skin, dark eyes and dark hair. He wore pants and a shirt. A white shirt, something you'd see Alexander wear too.

"You must be Christina," he said. "I've heard about you through the tabloids."

The tabloids? Who even said that?

I smiled and looked at Alexander. "Then I guess it must be true." I said.

Alexander gave my hand a squeeze before letting go and putting his arm around my waist. Discreetly he pulled me closer.