kicked out

Lunch came fast. I worked until three to twelve. I didn't change into heels. I locked my computer, waved at Juan and went into the reception.

Why had I agreed to this?

I pushed the button and waited.

The one right before me came to a halt, announced by the little pling, and the doors opened. I stepped into the elevator and pressed the button for the top floor. The door closed slowly.

Would Alexander be silent for an hour? Or would it be in and then out? I wouldn't mind some conversation. Like Sunday morning. That had been nice.

The ride up took a few seconds.

I exited the elevator as the receptionist stood.

A woman, probably around fifty, not that she appeared to be, but if she had to be the same age as my mom, then she would have to be.

She stormed passed me, went into the elevator and ponded at the button, and the doors closed after her.

I looked at the receptionist who looked at speechless as I felt.

"Do you have an appointment with Mr. Greene?" she asked.

I nodded.

"You know the way," she said and looked at the closed elevator door. "Not that I can tell how mad he is. I heard him shout. From here."

I felt like I was as white as a ghost. No, I didn't fear him, but if you reached the point of yelling? There weren't far to my small sandwich place.

Which reminded me that I wanted to show Elliott some Asian food I'd found, and which wasn't bathed in oil.

I knocked on the door to Alexander's office.

There came a deep grunting sound which I assumed meant 'come in'. I pushed the door open.

Alexander was typing on his keyboard, fast. And he wasn't looking away from the screen.

Okay.

I stepped into the office and shut the door behind me. The thought about entering an office like this? It felt as if I was being validated. That was probably why I'd considered my outfit that morning?

On his otherwise immaculate desk was two paper bags with a brand I didn't recognize.

I went to his desk and sat down opposite from him.

He didn't way a word. If he was in the middle of something important Then, two minutes? Yeah, otherwise I'd leave. Mostly because it was disrespectful. If he would just tell me he'd be two minutes.

I looked out the windows behind him.

It looked as if there would be rain later. Downpour was maybe more fitting.

Alexander stood, went to the mini fridge and grabbed two waters. He came back, put one water before me and the sat down opposite me.

I looked at him. "Hi," I said.

He grabbed the two bags and gazed into them before handing me one of them.