sleeping

I went to bed right after ten. Even though I hadn't been to bed late the night before, I'd been on the entire day because the kids where there. They were nice and well behaved and everything, but that didn't mean you weren't on.

I brushed my teeth, checked my phone before getting under the covers and turned off the lights.

We had discussed the day, the kids, and I'd convinced him to try and cook one day. From scratch. Nothing difficult, just simple.

I curled up beneath the comforter and shut my eyes.

The door was loudly opened, and I was sitting in bed before I was even aware I'd woken up.

I somehow managed to turn the lights on.

Alexander was in the room, leaned back against the door, he was breathing too fast and looked at me with huge, blue eyes.

"You're still here," he stated quietly.

"Why would I leave in the middle of the night?" I asked quietly. It scared me he'd opened the door like that. It hadn't hit the wall, but the force behind the opening? And even so, I whispered, scared to break the silence.

My heart was beating too fast in my chest.

He shook his head and leaned his head back against the door.

I would ask him to go back to bed, but he seemed pretty worked up.

He looked at me before nodding. "I'm sorry," he said. "Sleep tight." He left the room and gently shut the door.

This was, without a doubt, the weirdest thing I'd ever experienced.

I fell back on the mattress and closed my eyes.

It wasn't until my heart calmed down I reached to turn off the lights.

What just happened?

I rolled unto my side and closed my eyes.

It was an unrestful sleep because I kept thinking I thought someone was awake in the flat.

Half past seven I got out of bed.

I changed into bra and my own t-shirt and a sweatshirt. Pants would come later.

I went to the bathroom and down the stairs.

Alexander was on the couch in the living room. Asleep.

I walked around the couch to be sure. He was covered by a blanket, eyes closed and slightly parted lips.

Before I ended up staring so he woke, I went to the kitchen.

I looked around the place before giving up and went to the dining room to sit on the couch. The backrest had a nice size, so I was leaned against it and could look out the windows. The city wasn't sleeping, but the life was progressively building.

I welcomed the silence. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed being here, and I'd enjoyed Alexander's company the night before.

That he'd come by my room like the devil was chasing him was something I had to figure out. It didn't make sense to me.

Someone sat down next to me.

I looked to the side where Alexander was sitting.

"Slept well?" I asked.

He rubbed sleep out of his eye. "I don't know." He said.

"What happened last night?" I asked.

He looked at me. "I don't know."

"Liar," I said and stood.

He didn't comment on it.

"Do you want to help me find things for breakfast? I'm hungry."

He stood and went with me.

I knew where glasses and plates were to be found, but his fridge? Nope.

He found yoghurt, oatmeal, granola and bread.

We ate in silence.

"When's your birthday?" he asked.

I looked at him, surprised. "Why?" I asked.

"You mentioned you turn twenty-four during the fall," he reminded me.

"November," I said. "The seventeenth."

He nodded. "It's soon."

"I know," I said.

We cleaned up, I changed into my own clothes – including panties. Somehow I wanted to bring something that wasn't mine. And his boxers? They could in no way be defined as mine.

I went to the living room again.

He entered form a door beneath the stairs in jeans, socks and a navy t-shirt.

"I'll walk home," I said. "Thank you for yesterday and this morning."

He looked at me. "Okay. Jazz will give you a ride."

"No," I said. "I'll walk."

His eyebrows dived down.

"Forget it," I said quietly. "I'm walking."

He grunted something unintelligible and walked me to the foyer.