waiting game

We walked back to the office together, without speaking. Jazz was behind us and we got an elevator for ourselves.

"Do you have a plan for Saturday?" I asked.

"To out of three are napping," he said. "That gives me some room to maneuver in."

I smiled. "Your way of saying that," I said and shook my head.

He looked at me. "What else am I supposed to say?"

"Nothing," I said. "I just feel that by now you're actually letting me getting to know you."

His eyebrows dived down and his eyes were cast in shadow. "You refuse to have sex with me, so getting to know each other is naturally if we are to be friends, right?"

I nodded.

We reached the ninth floor.

"See you on Saturday," he said.

I smiled. "Have a nice day," I said and exited the elevator.

I was three minutes early. After a brief toilet break I went back to my desk.

I spoke with Elliott during the afternoon. He was glad I clicked with Candace, and he had scored a lot of A's he was super proud about. Why shouldn't he be?

We walked some of the way back, and I went home while he took the metro.

I didn't hear anything from Alexander again.

I wrote a long and very descriptive email to Dad before I went to bed.

I ate my lunch alone Friday. I had brought a packed lunch and after my highly interesting week I just enjoyed the silence. Granted, other people were present. Juan and Courtney were talking, they knew each other from before I was hired.

After only half an hour break, I went back to work.

It didn't really suit me, but I was looking forward to seeing Alexander again. Not that I had butterflies in my belly, but I was looking forward to it.

If I had to be honest, I liked him. I just couldn't be with him when he wanted to know and decide what I should and shouldn't do. I just couldn't do that.

I left three to five, hoping to catch an elevator that weren't packed with people.

The first elevator was full. The following had one person inside it.

Alexander's receptionist.

Crap.

I went in and leaned back against the wall.

She didn't say anything, and I think I preferred it that way.

I had dinner, read a book and fell asleep before I had the chance to turn off my bedside lamp.

It was my Friday night. And I didn't remember having enjoyed a Friday that much in a long time.

My alarm for Saturday morning was set for a quarter to nine. That meant I had time to get up, shower and wake up. It was rarely I slept much longer than eight, my body wasn't good at sleeping in, but I had my alarm set in case I didn't wake up early enough.

I woke 8.06.

This would be a good day, had to be.

Damn gut feeling which only wish was to see Alexander again.

I turned off my light, it was light enough without it on.

My comforter was warm, and I replied Dad in an email. He just wanted to hear how everything was, and how I was doing.

I hesitated before I hit send.

I had to add it.

The words read: Alexander asked about Mom, and I couldn't explain it for him.

I wasn't sure why I'd added them, but I needed Dad to know.

I hit send and rolled out of bed.

Dad called.

Okay, I was beneath the comforter again.

"Hi Dad," I said, in Danish.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"I'm fine," I said.

"I know you're not happy talking about Mom, but if you spend a lot of time together..."

"I know," I cut him off. "But I don't know." I said. "He's frustrating, and he listens and he wants to decide and he's got issues and I like spending time with him." There. I said what I thought. Only but was that I really enjoyed spending time with him just because he was him.

Dad was quiet for a moment. "What are you doing today?"

I smiled. "Seeing Alexander," I said. "He's got a flat on Manhattan, but he doesn't invite anyone but close friends and family."

"And you're meeting there?" Dad guessed.

"Yes," I said quietly.