Girl talk

Monday morning I found a sticker note on my computer. It was Trisha's handwriting.

Lunch in my office? It's on me?

Why not? I sent her an ok via mail. Just so she knew.

I finished three smaller projects I had had lying around and which I hadn't been in a rush to finish. They were halfway there. I considered heels for a long moment before deciding against it, before I went to Trisha's office in my ballerinas.

She had two giant salads on her desk.

"Wow," I said.

She smiled. "I'm hoping I can talk you into working a bit late tomorrow."

"How come?" I asked.

"Advertisement, but I have a meeting so we can't get started before two, and I think three hours is a bit short in order to have everything worked out."

I nodded. "We can work something out," I said and sat down opposite from her.

"Did you have a nice weekend?" she asked.

I opened the lid on my salad. "I was at a thing with Alexander again."

"Again?" she asked. "I haven't seen any pictures?"

"It was some company-something where he wanted to buy another company. That's what he told me," I said and grabbed the fork. "It was weird, in a way."

"How?" Trisha asked.

"He grabbed my hand, and he hadn't said a word to me, so I pulled my hand out of his. That made him give me a cold shoulder," I shook my head. "But then we talked for hours on Sunday morning."

Trisha smiled and pushed her glasses up her nose. "Are you seeing him again?"

"I don't know," I said. "We didn't discuss the possibility."

She lifted both eyebrows. "Weird," she said. "Will has talked about wedding."

"So?" I asked, meaning to have her continue.

"I don't know if I'm ready to commit now that I'm technically married to my job," she looked at me. "Especially now that Greene has given us that project. The company is not that big, we aren't more than six employees, myself included." She hesitated.

"But Will knows that?"

She nodded. "And he's understanding and everything, but that doesn't change his mind that he wants to be able to call us husband and wife. He knows we don't change and become different people, but he really wants for us to be legally married."

I wasn't sure where I was on the whole marriage thing. Usually it required a partner too, and until I had a boyfriend, I wouldn't consider marriage.

"I don't get why Greene even wants us to do this project?!" she said. "It's crazy when we can only just be in this building, and that's only because we're so small. And then it's just a nice selling point to be on Manhattan."

I nodded, I had salad in my mouth.

"What are you doing tonight?"

"Having dinner at Elliott and Candace's place, I met him through my night classes."

"Ah yes!" Trisha said. "What are you gaining from that?"