apartment

My workweek was uninteresting regarding meeting Alexander again. He kept to his office, I kept to mine.

Friday at lunch I told Trisha what had happened since I'd be accompanying Greene – as she referred to him – to the charity even on Friday.

She had seen the pictures of us, and even though she didn't fully understand his motives for wanting me there, she could see the publicity in it.

I received a mail after one.

It was from A. E. Greene.

Had he another name besides Alexander?

I opened it.

Dear Christina

Meet me in the lobby at three sharp. Clothing etc. is sorted, there will be a stylist at my apartment.

A. E. Greene

Short and formal. Should I answer? I bit my lip before I decided not to. That meant I had just less than two hours left. If I left five to three that was fine? At that time I'd also be able to take the stairs, if there were too many people by the elevators.

Courtney, who didn't like me for being closer with Trisha, Trisha and I worked on the advertisement. Contrary to me, Courtney was an advertisement developer. And she was good at it, I had to give her that, but I was pleased that I knew my way around it too.

We made a temporary draft on the advertisement. Something I went back to my computer to bring to life.

Seven to three I turned off my computer, put my heels in the drawer, waved goodbye to Trisha and went to the elevators.

I had no idea what tonight would bring. But I guess that I wanted to do this for him. He was in no way lost, and I couldn't say I knew him. We didn't know one another. But he had helped the previous Friday and even though he might have a funny way of communicating, he'd only been kind to me and made sure I arrived home safely.

There weren't any people, but it took the elevator a while before it arrived. I stepped into it and went down to the lobby, stepping out at three sharp.

Punctual.

Alexander waited in the lobby, Jazz looked towards me.

I smiled at the guard who greeted me each morning and went to Alexander and Jazz. This was now or never. When this was ever I'd never see him again. If he asked again? It would depend on how tonight went.

Jazz nodded at me.

I smiled and Alexander looked at me.

"Punctual, good," he said and put his phone in his pocket.

I followed him and Jazz out the door – dad knew I was doing this. Now, I trusted Alexander, not that I could pinpoint exactly why. Because he hadn't given me any reason not to? If this was a date – hypothetical thought – we would probably meet in public but I still trusted him.

Jazz opened the door for me, and I got in, the bag on my lap.

Alexander got in next to me, phone in his hand again.

It seemed to be a seriously bad idea. If I had to participate in a charity event in God knows how many hours and he didn't say a word? That could very well be very awkward.

It was light outside, and I could see Jazz didn't take us anywhere on Manhattan.

"Where are going?" I asked.

"My apartment," Alexander said without looking at me.

"Where is that?" I asked.

"New Jersey," he answered briefly.

My shoulders slumped. Great. I had ended up with a silent man with way too much money.

I leaned my head against the window and gazed out. It would be a good night. Maybe. It depended what he'd sorted out I would wear. Which reminded me. How did he know which size I used?

I wouldn't ask that question now.

I fetched my phone from my bag and scrolled through my email, checked Instagram and looked out the window again.