closer

The shower was needed, and he'd put a pair of boxer shorts with the pants. I put them on because I wanted clean underwear. I put on my bra again because I didn't feel like sitting without it when I was with him.

I brushed my hair and let that be that before I went back downstairs to Alexander again.

He was in the living room, the fake fireplace was lit, and it somehow made everything softer.

I sat down next to him on the couch and pulled my legs to me. His socks on my feet.

He'd changed into pants like the one I wore, a long sleeved t-shirt and socks.

"Do Marcus and his wife want more kids?" I asked.

Alexander barely shrugged. "I don't know," he said. "Marcus has never, while growing up, mentioned anything about kids, but Vivian has got him wrapped around her finger."

I smiled. "Isn't it that way all men are in love?" I asked.

Alexander looked at me. "I've never truly been in love."

"Really?" I asked.

"I don't have the courage to, Christina," he said.

"You stick to casual sex?"

He nodded.

"Don't you miss being able to share everything with someone?" I asked.

"I've shared everything," he said.

"A therapist doesn't count," I said quietly.

"Have you shared everything to someone?" he asked.

"I share a lot with my parents, my Dad," I correct myself. "And I've got close friends to the rest. So, in a way."

"No man?"

I shook my head.

"Are you a lesbian?"

I laughed. "No, Alexander, I'm not a lesbian. Just because I don't want to have sex with you doesn't mean I'm a lesbian."

He stood. "Come," he ordered before leaving.

Come? He didn't mean that.

He looked back into the living room. "Just stay where you are," he said. "I'll get cake. Do you want something to drink?"

I laughed. I couldn't not.

"What?" he asked.

I looked at him, still smiling. "You state, 'come', then you come back and ask me to please stay where I am."

His eyebrows dived down.

"Milk? Low fat?" I asked.

He nodded and left.

I wasn't sure if he wasn't even aware of it. Wasn't he?

He returned with glasses, milk and cookies.

"You just wanted to keep the cookies so you could eat them?"

He smiled. "Don't I always like cake?"

I had no idea. Sometimes?

He poured milk and held the plate with cookies towards me.

I grabbed one.

He grabbed one and leaned back.

"You're not scared we'll leave crumbs?" I asked.

"They can be vacuumed."

"But only if it isn't children?" I guessed.

He gently shoved me.

I laughed. "When were you up this morning?"

"Seven," he said.

"You always get up at seven?"

He nodded. "I meet at eight. If I'm up around seven, often a bit before, I've got time to work out before going to work."