an actual conversation

Friday for lunch I tried again. I took the elevator to the top floor.

The reception was empty so I gauged that as if I could just walk to his office.

My shoes echoed on the floor. Who even had wooden floors that were echoing? I didn't wear heels just normal ballerinas.

Outside his office I stopped and listened hesitantly. It didn't sound as if there were anyone behind the door.

I knocked.

"Come in," he said.

I pushed open the door and stepped inside. "Hi." I said.

He looked up. "Sit down," he said and gestured to the chairs before the desk.

I walked to the chairs and sat down opposite him. "Why did you call Patricia?" I asked.

He stood and found water from the mini fridge. Like the last time. "Just because." He said.

He put the bottled water before me and sat down next to me and grabbed the bags with food. He placed one before me.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Wrap," he said. "I think."

I smiled and unwrapped my food. It was a wrap. A big one. But it looked so good. Would I be able to bring the rest home for later?

I took a bite and unscrewed the lid on the water. "Had you been running Tuesday night?" I asked.

He looked at me. "No," he said. "Or, yes, but I was on my way home when I came by." He moved closer to me.

I wore jeans. Yes, that erotic novel was still circling in my thoughts. "Why did you come?" I asked. "You could've not kicked me out or explain why you did it?"

He sat right next to me. "No." he said.

"No what?" I asked.

"No, I couldn't tell you at that time," he said. His hand was on my thigh. His hand was warm.

I put down my food on the paper and moved his hand. "No," I said and looked at him.

He looked at me, his blue eyes shadowed by his eyebrows.

"No," I repeated. To say I wasn't the least bit attracted to him would be a lie. "We are not going to have sex," I said. "And we're not dating." But it felt more superficial. Based on his looks. And looks couldn't get him to sex.

His eyebrows went further down and covered his eyes.

There weren't a reply.

I returned to my food. Even though it had been weird, I wouldn't make it even weirder sitting in his office having lunch with him.

The silence stretched out between us in forever.

"Thank you for the clothes," I said and looked at him. "And the shoes."

His eyes weren't hidden by his brows, and his blue eyes were cautiously directed at me. "You're welcome," he said quietly.

I just didn't specify underwear. Especially now he'd just had his warm hand on my thigh.