{Chapter Three}

{Chapter Three}

"Prognosis"

{Chicago PD: Bonus}

[Elena's POV]

Droplets of rain crashed against the cold concrete pavement and they eventually formed multiple small puddles of dirty rainwater that were scattered across the uneven and dimly lit street that looked almost abandoned in the dead of night, almost all the houses that lined the streets were dark because of how late it was and the few houses that were lit were only those who were awake late or were scared of being alone in the dark. 

Glancing up from the ground when I heard a car approach, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding when I saw Hank had finally arrived home from work, a lot later than usual meaning either a case had kept him busy or there was a mountain of paperwork he had to get through... or he was trying to help Erin who had decided to quit work, her mother playing a big part in her decision. He stepped out of his car, freezing in place for a moment when he realized I was sat on the steps leading up to the front porch, soaked from the rain.

"Hey Hank," I said quietly, pulling myself to my feet as Hank approached me, clearly surprised I was in Chicago, it had been months since I even considered coming here to visit.

"Elena," Hank said gently, "How come you're sat on my front porch in the pouring rain, you could've come by the district, everyone would have loved to see you, Halstead especially,"

I gave a small nod in response, knowing he was right, Jay and I had been talking about meeting up for a while but with work and everything going on we hadn't found the time, "I know... I didn't really want anyone to know I'm in town, at least not until I talked to you," I said quietly,

"Okay, let's get you inside, you look like an ice cube,"

{}{}{}

I walked into the kitchen, dried off, and in old clothes that had been left here, a pair of Erin's old sweatpants and one of Justin's oversized jumpers. When I stepped into the room I saw Hank was sat at the kitchen table, a cup of hot cocoa in his hand, and another placed in the spot I always sat in growing up, right across from him.

"Warmer?" Hank questioned,

"Yeah, thanks for keeping all the clothes the three of us left behind when we decided to move out, makes for good spares when rain strikes out of nowhere and we come to visit," I said with a laugh, earning a small smile from Hank,

"So, why were you parked on my porch at midnight without telling anyone you're in town?" I let out a sigh and pulled at the end of my sleeves as I moved to sit down, picking up the cup of hot cocoa, "What's going on Elena?" He asked taking note of my resistance to explain the situation.

It was a struggle to explain everything to Hank, but after a while, he knew everything that had been going on with me, as painful as it was for both of us to process. Hank's reaction told me everything I needed to know, he was worried about this as well and he rarely ever worries, well... he doesn't let others know he's worried but I could see he was, even without my profiling skills.

"Hank, I'm scared, for the first time in years, I'm truly scared, terrified even," I said quietly, "They say the prognosis is good... but it doesn't mean I'm going to beat this," Hank moved from his seat and quickly embraced me in a comforting hug, the tears that had formed finally falling from my glassy eyes, rushing down my cheeks like waterfalls.

"You're not going through this alone, I promise, you're not alone," Hank told me gently but forcefully, telling me he meant it, but I wasn't convinced,

"How..." I whispered, "I have to be back in DC at the end of the week... I can't just drop my job because of this, I can't, I won't," I explained pulling away from the embrace, "The Doctor recommends for me to take sick leave from work and get the treatments here instead of DC... but... I'm not leaving work, I won't, I don't care how sick I am,"

"Or... I could talk to your unit chief and the commander, see if you could get transferred to Intelligence," Hank offered, moving his chair to sit closer to me, "You'd be in Chicago for the treatments but you'd still be doing your job, just not throughout the entire country, just here in Chicago, it'll mean I'm able to look out for you as well,"

"Move to Intelligence?" I said quietly, earning a nod of confirmation from Hank, "How would that work? I'm a Fed, not a cop... since when do feds get assigned to police units?"  

"I don't care whether it's normal or if it's against the rules, you'd be an asset to Intelligence, even if it is just temporary while you get treated here," He replied with a gentle smile, "Al pulled Ruzek from the academy so why can't I pull you from the feds for a while?"

"Okay."

{Next on Partners, Always}

Still dealing with the startling news of Lindsay's decision to quit, the Intelligence unit gets a surprise announcement. Meanwhile, Elena prepares herself for what lies next with her treatment and begins her move from DC to Chicago.