{Chapter Twenty-Four}

"Forty-Caliber Bread Crumb"

{Chicago PD: S3 Ep17}

[Elena's POV]

"Babe!" Jay called out from the bedroom, "Seen my phone?"

"Kitchen," I replied, looking up from the case files scattered over the dining table to Jay who emerged from the bedroom, fully dressed, like he was going to work or something but his badge wasn't on his belt or hanging around his neck, "You going somewhere?" I asked,

"Yeah, I gotta get to work," Jay replied, unplugging his phone from the charger, my brows furrowed, confused, it's Jay's day off, he shouldn't be going to work. Jay noticed my confusion and elaborated on what he meant by 'work', "The security gig... at the pot joint,"

I smacked myself on the forehead when I remembered, he does have work but not police work, he's been picking up shifts a local medical marijuana clinic, a job Mouse managed to set him up with, "Right, sorry, I forgot, my minds been other places today," I explained, getting up from the dining chair I'd been sat in for hours and abandoned the case files I'd been working through.

"Right, your mind does go to other places when you're profiling deranged serial killers who chop people up," Jay said with a smile, his arms wrapping around my waist when I was within reach and my arms naturally snaked around his neck.

"Why are you taking on all these shifts anyway?" I asked curiously,

"Because a detective's salary isn't all that snazzy and I'm looking to move out of my apartment and into somewhere a little nicer, you know, less old, rusty pipes, a working elevator, quiet neighbors, closer to work... and you," Jay explained, "I'll lessen my hours soon, I promise,"

"Good, because you'll have to start sleeping with one eye open soon," I replied, "I'll have something nice ready to eat when you get home,"

"Or you and me, burning candles, music, and a hot bubble bath for two..." Jay suggested,

"I like the way you think," I said, my smile turning into a smirk, "Now, what time do you need to be at the pot joint?" I asked,

"Twenty minutes,"

"That's enough time for some previews," I said, pulling Jay into a kiss.

{}{}{}

Multiple voices echoed off the walls of the firehouse, drawing my attention to the common room and I found myself standing in the doorway within seconds of hearing the chatter. I hit my knuckles against the doorframe and said, "Knock, knock," As predicted, attention turned to me, and surprised faces spread throughout the room.