{Chapter Thirty-Two}

{Chapter Thirty-One}

"Angels Part 1"

{Chicago PD: S3 Bonus, Criminal Minds: S9 Ep22}

[Elena's POV]

"I can't believe you did this in one hit," Morgan said as he stared at himself in the mirror and the bruise that was beginning to form around his swollen left eye, "I'm supposed to be going on a date with Savannah in a few days, she won't be happy when I have to cancel,"

"Why cancel, you'll look like a badass, women find that attractive, just don't mention you were hit by a girl and you'll be good," I said with a simple shrug, a rush of guilt beginning to wash over me again. His swelling eye was my fault, well mostly my fault.

I'm sleeping on Morgan's couch for the duration of my stay in DC, which is only supposed to be a few days for conferences I was required to attend and also to spend time with the team to make up for our last interrupted movies night. My attempt at getting a good night's sleep ended with Morgan getting a black eye and then us getting called into work for a case.

For the first time in a while, I've gone several nights with continuous nightmares and I knew that was down to me not being with Jay and the stress of flying out here and having to attend ridiculous conferences like the profiling one we were at early today. Whatever the reason, this dream however wasn't events of the past continuing to haunt me, these were different, they were filled with what's missing... or what I think I'm missing.

I was trapped in my own mind, in a house that was familiar but foreign at the same time, the place had been stripped down to its bare bones. There wasn't any furniture, there were no lights, the walls were bare, the floor was dull, outside the windows was nothing but darkness, the door leading to the outside wouldn't open, no matter how hard I tried to escape.

I was completely alone in the house for what felt like hours until I heard the cries of an infant, the second I heard them, I raced up the stairs and to the room that the cries were coming from, when I got through the door, I saw the baby laid in a crib, she was wrapped in a pale pink blanket, a small stuffed dog that looked worn and familiar was laid beside her.

Naturally, I went towards the baby and tried to pick her up but I couldn't. She was there but she wasn't, she just slipped out of my reach every time I tried to reach for her and I only woke up from the nightmare when I realized I couldn't reach her because she represented what I don't have but I've known I've wanted for a while, I was just too afraid to admit it.

But when I did. I woke up, right when Morgan was trying to wake me, and instinctively, I attacked the person who had a hand on my shoulder and that resulted in Morgan's bruise eyesocket.