{Chapter Four}

{Chapter Four}

"New Member"

{Chicago PD: Bonus}

[Third Person POV]

A yawn escaped Jay's mouth as he finally reached the top of the stairs and entered the bullpen, his eyes glancing over to Lindsay's desk which was void of all her things, the picture frames that decorated her desk were gone, the only thing that remained was the computer set up and a small pot filled with pens and pencils.

The team were still dealing with the fallout of Voight announcing Lindsay's sudden decision to quit her job, they all knew she was beginning to spiral, guilt taking her over following Nadia's murder but none of them thought it would lead to them losing a member of the team. They didn't want to believe she quit but they had to.

Letting out a sigh as he moved towards his desk, Jay's brows knitted together when he realized Voight's door was closed, inside the room, Voight was sat, phone pressed to his ear, an unreadable expression covering his face, Jay turned to face Antonio who was sat at his desk, writing in a case file, "What's up with Voight? He rarely closes his door for just phone calls,"

"No idea, he's been on the phone for about fifteen minutes," Antonio said quickly, he was also shocked to see the office door closed but gave up on trying to think of the reason behind the strange behavior, "Al, you know anything?"

"For once, I'm as clueless as all of you," Al commented casually as he walked out of the break room, a steaming cup of coffee in his hands, Jay shook his head and gave up on trying to figure out what was going on with his team leader and instead sat down at his desk and started sorting through the pile of files on his desk that desperately needed organizing.

Not long after, Voight's door opened and everyone looked up to see him stepping out and leaning in the doorway, an emotionless mask still covering his face, "Look, I know Lindsay's departure has taken us by surprise, for now, she's on three weeks furlough, just in case she changes her mind, but I doubt she will," He explained,

"Now, on another... more positive terms, we're getting a new member of the unit, this is not a replacement for Lindsay, I promise, she'll be split partnered with Halstead and Antonio," He added, "In a weeks time, FBI Agent Elena Smoak," Everyone perked up at the familiar name, glad someone they knew was going to be working with them instead of a stranger, "... will be joining the unit as a federal consultant,"

"Elena's coming back to Chicago," Jay said surprised, "I didn't see that coming,"

"Took me by surprise too," Voight admitted, "She'll be with the team in a few days, she's in DC right now getting some stuff packed for the move back here," Everyone nodded and some smiles were shared between everyone at the news a piece of their family is coming back, "Halstead, my office," Jay held his breath for a moment at the tone Voight used and quickly nodded, getting up and following him into the office,

"Everything okay Sarge?" Jay asked, closing the door behind him,

Voight sat down in his chair, "When Elena's back, do me a favor and look out for her,"

"Always, no need to ask," Jay said instantly, "It's not really like Elena to just suddenly make a big change without mentioning weeks before, is there something bringing her back to Chicago?" He questioned, knowing that if anyone knew why she's suddenly coming back it would be Voight.

"Ask Elena when she gets here,"

{}{}{}

[Elena's POV]

Forcefully zipping up a bag filled with clothes that I'm taking to Chicago, I let out a small sigh at the sight of my belongings, everything was packed up with Morgan's help, most of it I was taking to Chicago with me but what I was leaving behind was being put in a storage unit so Morgan could lend my room to someone if they needed to.

My bedroom was stripped bare, except for the furniture which wasn't being moved, my eyes landed on the few things I had yet to put away because it was my more valuable and sentimental items, pieces of home and things I didn't want to risk losing or getting broken.

Picture frames were scattered across the wooden surface, bringing back fond memories, especially the one of Jay, Mouse, and I, a member of the unit we were assigned had taken it during our first tour, we were so happy in the photo, our smiles bright because someone had cracked a joke a few seconds before.

Laid in front of one of the framed photos were a few pieces of jewelry that I inherited, a necklace Camille always wore and gave to me a few weeks before we died and the box that held my father's wedding band had a thin layer of dust on top of it, showing I hadn't looked inside the box in a long time. I sighed at the thought of my father and for a moment pain lingered over the scars on my shoulder, a constant reminder of how I lost him.

My eyes lingered over the box before moving onto the army tags laid out across the dark wooden surface, my smile grew bright when I saw the name, it wasn't my name on the tags, it was Jays, we'd swapped army tags right before I moved to DC when I joined the BAU, it was a way of remembering we'd be there for one another. Always.

I carefully picked the tags up by the chain and slipped them on over my head, letting out a sigh at the familiar feeling of having them hang from my neck again, it was nice and it was comforting to know a part of my best friend was always with me, even when we were miles apart.

Carefully picking up all the valuable items on the dress, I placed them into the box that will stay with me at all times, already inside the box was everything I kept in my safe, important documents, my guns, cash as well as a few other little things that I wanted to be kept hidden.

My phone began vibrating in my pocket, taking me by surprise, I pulled it out and quickly read over the text making sure it wasn't Hotch saying that a case had come in and I had to put my move on hold for a few days, I relaxed when I saw it was Jay.

Jay: Just heard the news about you coming over to Intelligence, can't wait to see you back in Chicago, looks like you'll be partnered between me and Dawson. Great to have you back, partner. :)

Smiling, I sent him a quick text back before finishing up with packing.

Me: I can't wait to come back and bully you at work XD. See you in a few days, driving to Chicago instead of flying. Call me insane when I get there, partner.

{}{}{}

{Next on "Partners, Always"}

Things get personal for the Intelligence as they track down one of Chicago's most wanted fugitives. Elena questions whether to keep her reasons for returning to Chicago quiet or tell Halstead and Mouse, her two closest friends. Lindsay continues to make bad decisions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading!