{Chapter Thirty-Seven}

{Chaper Thirty-Seven}

"Start Digging"

{Chicago PD: S3 Ep23}

[Elena's POV]

"Because the judge thinks the best placement for the baby would be with you, you've been keeping a close eye on the case, giving up your free time to attend court dates and you're doing all this while working a very stressful job, so she asked me to get in contact with you and ask if you'd like to consider fostering the baby and then a year later, if you wanted to, you'd be given the option to fully adopt her,"

"Elena," Will's voice pulled me back to reality, my thoughts had been clouded since I met up with Susan, her question echoing around in my head no matter how hard I tried to push it aside. She gave me a week to think about what she said over and come to a decision.

"Yeah?" I asked quietly, looking up at Will who had walked into the exam room, I had just had my scan and the results were being looked over while we spoke, Will offered to take a look at my ribs and take the stitches out of my thigh while I waited for Doctor Bradford to come and tell me whether I was in remission or if I was still going to be battling cancer.

"I asked how your pain was out of ten," Will said gently as he pressed his hands to my side where a large bruise had formed over the last day or two since the accident.

"Three, I barely notice it... unless I fall out of bed, then it's a five or six," I replied, "I wouldn't have mentioned it if it weren't for Jay pestering me to get checked,"

"It's better to get them checked just in case, broken ribs can occasionally cause damage to internal organs and occasionally puts pressure on the lungs," Will said carefully, "The bruises are developing nicely and your breathing is good, you'll be in pain for a while but the ribs will heal, resting would speed up the process but I know you won't rest so I'll forget to suggest it,"

"You know me so well," I said with a laugh as I pulled my shirt back down.

The door opened and Doctor Bradford stepped into the room, closing the door behind her, she held a file in her hand and an expression I was unable to read, "The results from the scan and the labs are back," She said calmly,

"And?" I asked, hopeful,

"There are no signs of cancerous tissue, the labs are clear... you're in remission,"

{}{}{}

I used my hand to shield my eyes as I walked through the park and searched for Justin, we mentioned meeting up, just us at some point and catching up, even though we were working the case, Hank told me to go spend time with Justin because he'll be leaving in a day and heading back home to the army base he lives on.