{Chapter Thirty-One}

"She's Got Us"

{Chicago PD: S3 Ep22}

[Elena's POV]

"Last time I worked violence reduction duty I wound up chasing some tweaked out Bonnie and Clyde couple across a roof..." Jay explained as he pulled on his shirt and finished getting ready for work. He was working violence reduction duty, something that's been happening more since the shooting a few weeks ago.

"Right, the ones who fell through the skylight," I finished,

"Oh, I told you that one?" Jay asked and I nodded in response, "Point is, we just became more targets for them to shoot at,"

"Platt basically made this mandatory," I replied, "You're going to be getting overtime and it's like a dollar a minute," I added,

"Time I'd rather spend in that walk-in shower with the dual steam heads in the apartment I looked at," Jay countered, I let out a laugh at Jay's ideas of a good apartment,

He's been looking for another apartment because the lease on his last is almost up and that apartment is a dump compared to other places. I personally thought his search was pointless, he hasn't been back to his apartment in months since he started staying here a lot more, I just chose not to voice my thoughts on Jay moving in properly because I didn't want things to move to fast and then crash and burn.

"You want the new fancy shower with the whatever and the whatever, you need to work the overtime," I said, reaching for my phone when it began buzzing.

"Did I show you the loft on Division?" Jay asked,

"The one with the toilet next to the stove? You are not moving in there," I replied quickly, my attention mainly turning to the text that came through,

"It's intimate," Jay countered,

"Yeah, so's a prison," I said distantly,

"You okay?" Jay asked,

I looked up from my phone and over to Jay who was looking at my curiously, "Oh, yeah, I'm fine, it's just... remember the baby found in the duffel?" Jay nodded, "I've been keeping an eye on her, she was placed in the foster system, parents gave up their parental rights and allowed DCFS to place her in a foster home, a family took her in but already had five kids in their care, they were too overwhelmed so they sent her back,"

"You've been keeping up with the case?" Jay asked,

"Yeah," I said simply, "I just wanted to make sure she was treated alright, foster system isn't always the best, they're overwhelmed and they tend to miss stuff... a lot of stuff,"