{Chapter Thirty-Six}

"Start Digging"

{Chicago PD: S3 Ep23}

[Elena's POV]

"Hey!" I snapped as I stepped out of the bedroom and saw Jay running his finger against the frosting on Daniel's birthday cake, "Get your hands off of the birthday cake or I'll hurt you," A smirk tugged at my lips when Jay spun his head around to face me, his expression mirroring that of a child's when they've been caught red-handed doing something they shouldn't.

Jay pulled his hand away and licked the frosting from his finger, "I was just testing it... you know, making sure you don't give anyone food poisoning or anything..." He trailed off and paused for a moment before he spoke again, "I'm going to pay for that somehow later aren't I?"

"Maybe," I said coyly, my smirk widening as I pulled my jacket on over my shoulders, "Or I'll just wait and make you suffer in a few days... when it's unexpected, maybe I'll withhold something from you... like brownies, coffee... or maybe me and a hot bubbly bath,"

"Oh... you are mean," Jay said with a smile as he watched me approach him, I wrapped my arms around his neck and smiled, "But... I think that is one of the many things I love about you, you're unpredictable, mean and an amazing cook,"

"Don't sweet talk me when I'm getting ready to leave," I replied, "We can't have fun if I have to leave, like... no food fights or something with fewer clothes,"

"You're dirty talking now?" Jay said, brow raised in a flirty way, "I like it,"

Smiling, I pressed my lips against Jay's and found myself beginning to get lost in the kiss. When we finally pulled away, I groaned at the thought of leaving, I wanted to stay and have a night where it's just me and Jay, no interruptions, no illness, no drama, no one's murder needs to be solved, just one night all to ourselves, nothing in the way.

"As much as I would like to continue this... I have to go, I'm running late," I said sadly,

"We'll continue when you get home," Jay replied, his lips forming a smirk, "Wish the little guy a happy birthday from me and tell Justin and Olive I said hi,"

I thought for a moment and considered an idea that came to mind, "You could tell them yourself... if you... perhaps wanted to come with me?" I asked hesitantly,

"You mean to meet the cousin, who's basically your brother and will probably pull me into a room... alone and give me the big brother talk I've been terrified to hear? Or he'll just kill me on the spot... depends on his mood," Jay said, brow raised slightly,