{Chapter Twenty-Two}

"A Night Owl"

{Chicago PD: S3 Ep15}

[Elena's POV]

A bell rung as Kim and I stepped into a small and quiet coffee shop, the nearest place we could satisfy our coffee cravings before we had to get back to work, "Then I remembered, I left a toothbrush at Ruzek's place," Kim continued, I'd asked her how she was doing from breaking things off with Adam and this lead Kim to start rambling like she almost always does when I bring up the 'Adam thing'. "If I leave it there, it sends a message I'm coming back but if I ask him for it, then he'll think I'm obsessed about him,"

"Kim," I said calmly, "Just buy a new toothbrush,"

"Good idea," Kim said after a second, I let out a small laugh and turned towards the counter, not before running into someone, their wallet falling from their hands and they almost dropped their coffee also but the guy managed to catch it before the hot liquid inside spilled.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," I said quickly, "I wasn't looking where I was going,"

The guy shook off the encounter, "Oh no, I'm sorry, I'm just a clutz," He said simply, I nodded and knelt down to pick up his wallet, he took it from me with a grateful smile, "Thank you, I'm sorry for almost spilling my coffee over you,"

"It's fine," I said as I looked the man over, my breathing hitched when flashes from the past rushed back to me, "Enjoy your coffee,"

"I will, have a nice day," He said brightly before walking away..

I looked back and watched as the guy left the coffee shop, Kim noticed me watching and looked at me cautiously, "You okay?" She asked,

"Yeah... he just," I paused for a moment, "He just reminded me of someone,"

"Who?" Kim questioned,

I shook my head, "My dad, his eyes and hair were exactly like my dad's," I explained before noticing Kim think for a second, "Or I was just seeing things..."

"You never mention your dad," Kim stated as we stepped towards the barista, "He's Voight's brother right?"

"Yeah, he died when I was seven, he was a firefighter at 51, we were in the process of moving closer to Hank, Camille and Justin when our home burned down, 51 responded to the call, Boden found me while my Dad searched for the babysitter who was watching me at the time, the house roof collapsed on top of him before he could get out," I explained sadly, "Because my mother wasn't around, Hank took me in and raised me,"