Chapter 2: Karma

Waking up I hear water running in the distance. I roll over and look around at the tan walls a little confused about where I'm at. "Grandma's that's where you're at," I remind myself. Turning my head and looking to my left, I see King in the bed next to mine snoring with his mouth wide open. Rolling out of bed I head to the bathroom.

"Good morning," my grandmother says, walking from the living room to the kitchen, smiling at me. She was so happy to see us when she came to the neighbors to get us. "I've already got your clothes picked out and they're laying in the bathroom. Go ahead get dressed and come in here so I can do something with that hair of yours"

"Ok." My mother was never up this early, ever. She was always hanging with friends at night and sleeping all day. I'm glad we came here. It will be nice not to have to take care of ourselves. The last time we saw our grandmother was at my dad's funeral and I was four, but I don't remember her or my dad. King told me that our dad was killed breaking into someone's house.

I'm pulling my shirt over my head when I hear knocking.

"Hurry up! I have to pee."

"I'm putting on my clothes, give me a minute," I yell sliding on my pink leggings.

"I can't, I'm about to pee on myself." Bang Bang "Hurry up."

I roll my eyes at King. He does this all the time. I'm glad I got the chance to brush my teeth.

I open the door and glare at him. "Stop drinking so much soda before bed and you wouldn't be almost about to pee on yourself every morning," I say, pushing him out my way.

"Girl, you better not push me no more."

I stop and turn around. "What you gonna do?"

King smiles, right before he flips me off and then slamming the door and locking it. I hear him laughing.

"Punk!" I should kick his butt when he comes out of there.

After I get my hair combed I go sit in the living room and watch TV for a little.

"Come in here and eat, Karma," my grandmother says from the kitchen. The house is not big, but it's bigger than the two-bedroom apartment we lived in before coming here. My grandmother told us last night that she will clean out her sewing room, so we can have our own bedrooms. She said that King and I were getting too big to share a room.

Getting up I head to the kitchen when I hear someone knock on the front door.

"Open the door for Declan," I hear my grandmother say before I enter the kitchen. I turn and head to the front door.

Swinging open the door Declan is standing there wearing basketball shorts and a t-shirt. In my old neighborhood or school, there were no white people, and we never had any come to our house. My mom always said that white people couldn't be trusted. Declan seems like he might be cool, though.

"Come on in Declan and get you some breakfast," my granny yells from the kitchen.

He smiles as I step away from the door to let him in when he grabs my hand. I'm caught off guard so at first all I can do is just stare at our joined hands. Slowly my eyes find his and he has this goofy smile on his face. Not understanding why he's holding my hand I turn and walk to the kitchen with Declan following behind.

                                         🏈

King and Declan decided after breakfast to go outside and play. I grab King's Gameboy and sit on the porch and just watch them throw the football back and forward. I haven't seen any other kids, but us.