Chapter 4: Karma

3 years later

"Who's phone do you have?" Jewel asks me. We just walked into the school.

King and Declan got here earlier for football practice. Miguel is behind us walking hand and hand with his new girlfriend Sophia.

Miguel has filled out a whole lot. He's put on a little muscle and is taller now. Not as tall as King or Declan but taller. He wears his hair cut low on the sides and long at the top.

"It's Declan's phone. He stuck it in my bookbag this morning," I say rolling my eyes.

"I'll see y'all at lunch," Miguel says walking past us towards the cafeteria with his girlfriend.

"Ok," we both say.

"You know he likes you. I don't know why you won't give him a chance." This is Jewel's, Declan, and Karma's campaign speech that she gives every day.

"Who, Miguel?" I ask pretending like I don't know who she's talking about.

She gives me the side-eye as she twists up her mouth. "You know who I'm talking about."

Rolling my eyes, I maneuver through the throng of people in the small hallway. "Owen and I are fine just the way we are."

We are now in the eighth grade. I have English and History with Declan. Math with King. Science with Miguel and Jewel and Art with just Jewel.

We all have been lucky for the past three years to still have lunch together.

"Hey ladies," Phillip Davis says walking by - with Logan strolling behind him. They're both on the basketball team with King and Declan.

"Hey," we both say as we continue walking to our lockers.

"Oh my gosh...Philip is so cute." She fans her face. "...and he likes you. Why don't you give him a chance?"

Rolling my eyes I open my locker and take out my math and English books.

"Because most guys on sports teams are hoes," I say closing my locker and turning to her. "Just look at King."

"Yea we can't compare anyone to King. I think he really thinks he's an actual King," she says laughing. "...but your brother is fine, he reminds me of Lance Gross."

"My brother does not look like Lance Gross." I frown at her comparison.

"Girl, please. They could be twins the only difference is your brother's nose is slightly thinner and he's not as dark."

I shake my head and watch Declan and King make their way over to us through the crowded hall.

"Hey Jewel," King says, winking at Jewel.

Jewel is light-skinned so whenever she blushes her cheeks turn a bright red.

"Stop flirting with my friend. What I tell you about that," I say swatting King on his arm he smiles before turning to grab Stephanie Miller's hand.

"Hey, why didn't you call me last night," King says, walking off with Stephanie. "Hey, Declan I'll catch you later," he yells back over his shoulder.

"See what I tell you," I say reaching in my bookbag pulling out Declan's phone. "Hoe."

Declan is leaning next to my locker reading over his history notes.

"We studied all night. You already know the information," I say handing him his phone.

Declan looks down at me with those blue-green eyes. He smiles before taking the phone from my outstretched hand.

"Thanks. Where did you find this?"