Chapter 7: Karma

"We should go to the mall." Nakita is sitting at the dining room table with me. "Let me give you a makeover." Nakita is over for the weekend and she is driving me crazy.

Declan left this morning to go to his dad's and King is still in bed. Jewel is not answering her phone. So I just texted Miguel to come over and save me from this girl.

"Leave her alone, Nakita. She is fine how she looks," my granny says. She's sitting in the living room watching Law and Order SVU. Her eyes haven't left the TV.

"I know granny. I just think she needs a boyfriend and she will never get one dressing like one." Nakita is looking at a mirror from out of her purse. She's always looking in a mirror.

"I think Karma has a boyfriend...has had one for years."

"Who?" Nakita's head snaps up when she asks with a puzzled expression. I roll my eyes. Not this shit today. It's always someone wanting to know about Declan and me. Why can't people mind their own business?

"Declan," King says, around a yawn as he walks in the living room rubbing his eyes wearing some joggers and a tank.

"What time did you get home King?" My grandma asks.

Nakita is just staring at me. I ignore her because it's none of her business. I hear the tap on the door before it opens. I jump up and rush over pulling Miguel into the house.

"Morning everyone," he says, closing the door behind him. I walk over with him pulling him down on the couch with me.

"I want to go to the mall," Nakita announces. "King, will you take me to the mall?"

King shrugs. "Sure. I have nothing to do."

Nakita claps once. "Great Karma and Miguel go get ready so we can go."

"Why me?" Miguel asks.

"I'm sure Karma called you over here to save her from me." She smiles wickedly. "And since you came you are going too."

Miguel looks down at me. I give him the best puppy dog eyes. "Help me," I mouthed.

King stands and moves to walk out of the living room.

"King?" My grandma calls out to him.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"You never answered my question," she looks back at him.

"I got here about eleven-thirty," he says smiling. We all know that's a lie and King knows we know.

"Uh-huh...don't come in after curfew anymore."

"Yes, ma'am." I hear King chuckle as he shuts the door to the bathroom.

                                             🏈

We've been walking around this damn mall for about two hours. King and Miguel walked off within the first fifteen minutes.

"So how long have you and Declan been together?"

I roll my eyes. "Declan and I are not together."

She stops and turns to me. "Why would grandma say that?" Nakita asks.

"Grandma didn't say that King did. She was fishing like you are."

"Oh. Because he is cute and will probably make it to the NFL. I could see myself with a man like that," she says. "Plus his dad has money. I can't figure out why he's still staying with his mom when he could be living in a mansion."

I don't respond to any of this. She is like all the typical hoes chasing after King or Declan.

"Karma?" I hear my name and turn to see Phillip and his friend Fred.